350 vortex or 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aldang25879

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason I'm not thinking of a 383 is price I don't have 10 grand to drop on just the engine, I don't plan to race either just something a little quick for decent price
In that case don’t worry about a 6.0. Those get pricey because people want them for racing and most the parts are for racing. 6.0 will run you a little less than a 383

The cheapest option would be a 5.3 swap. You’ll notice the difference from a stock 350 without even doing anything to them. They can handle a couple pounds of boost without building internals if you want to make it spicy.

Feral peasant

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In that case don’t worry about a 6.0. Those get pricey because people want them for racing and most the parts are for racing. 6.0 will run you a little less than a 383

The cheapest option would be a 5.3 swap. You’ll notice the difference from a stock 350 without even doing anything to them. They can handle a couple pounds of boost without building internals if you want to make it spicy.
Yeah but I don't want to take the risk of blowing anything I need it to be reliable, I think I'll end up getting a single cab short in the future and doing the 5.3 swap

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah but I don't want to take the risk of blowing anything I need it to be reliable, I think I'll end up getting a single cab short in the future and doing the 5.3 swap
If you are on the fence with the LS, Id recommend swapping out your ECM with the 0411 and get your truck tuned. That way, if you decide you want to go LS, the ECM part is already done, and you know its working properly. Regardless, you will have a better running truck if you decide to R&R your 350 with a fresh one.

Feral peasant

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are on the fence with the LS, Id recommend swapping out your ECM with the 0411 and get your truck tuned. That way, if you decide you want to go LS, the ECM part is already done, and you know its working properly. Regardless, you will have a better running truck if you decide to R&R your 350 with a fresh one.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing either buying a crate or maybe getting it machined depends on price

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You said you're not mechanically inclined, just sell your truck and get something else with a different motor and lower miles

edit: edited for politeness

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You will notice an extreme lack of power with a 5.3L compared to a L31 350. All revs and no real acceleration or pulling power.

aldang25879

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will notice an extreme lack of power with a 5.3L compared to a L31 350. All revs and no real acceleration or pulling power.
You mean towing? I just say that they’re noticeably faster Cause my 5.3 friends have beat me stock in several races lol. They definitely can get up and with only a few supporting mods they can make 5 to 600 hp

I would even argue the 4.8 is better for this application even for handling boost

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean towing? I just say that they’re noticeably faster Cause my 5.3 friends have beat me stock in several races lol. They definitely can get up and with only a few supporting mods they can make 5 to 600 hp

I would even argue the 4.8 is better for this application even for handling boost

You're going to make his head explode.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I will put it this way. My stock L31 350 fullsize conversion van never lost to any of my friends 5.3L trucks or SUVs. With headers and a tune it ran next to a Vortec Max 6.0L extended cab short bed to 80 mph.

400-500 hp and still no torque. As I said all revs and no pull. The kind of cam you would need to get 500 hp out a 5.3L would never run well in a truck and 600 hp is a pipe dream. That would be a 10,000 build or more to make 600 hp from a NA 5.3L. Do you have any experience with a boosted 4.8L? Even with boost they are an absolute dog until 4,000 rpm. A 5.3L with a stock camshaft needs a converter like a Yank 3,600 rpm and deep rear gears to get a heavy truck rolling well. The stock 5.3L I personally setup had a Yank 3,600 converter, a 4.30 gear and a 28" tall drag radial. It ran fairly well but it was not overly impressive. I think it ran 8.70s in an regular cab shortbed from memory. Before the converter and gears it was mid-high 9 second truck in the 1/8 mile. It ended up a 1/2 second quicker than a 1999 Suburban on street tires, with S10 converter, long tubes, volant intake and a tune. Suburban was nearly 600 lbs heavier and ran 9.20s with L31 power. I will choose a Vortec 350 over the smaller LS engines anyday of the week. The LS is marginally stronger in stock form to boost, but not as much as some would lead you to believe. Stock L31 bottom can still handle 700+ hp as reliably as the LS can. Both are a ticking time bomb much over 500 hp on stock internals though. The Gen III just do not hold up in the real world for very long beyond that.