3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the idler arm assembly installed tonight. Also took out the lower control arm bolts on the drivers side. The bolt goes through the bushings and should be pointing towards the front of the truck. I had them backwards.
You must be registered for see images attach

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upper ball joint mounting solution. Not using those silly cages they provide. Using this hardware, a washer, and a flange nut. Fitment is great. @Caman96, the saga has finally come to a close.

This weekend the front end gets done. I don’t care if it kills me.

Then to get it road worthy I have to:
- install the remaining brake lines and bleed them
- mount my rear brake line/dif breather hose bracket
- paint rest of the frame
- alignment
- mount my rear bump stops

And once all that’s done I will have to begin the ‘94. Can’t have another winter of worrying about the WT.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for those who might have an answer. Is it an un-wise move to install the bolt from the bottom-up with the ball joint? My dad seems to think it is. His reasoning is that if the nut backs off then at least the bolt would be in. I guess I don’t see the difference. Not like it’s gonna be holding anything if it did back off.

Factory style is bolts installed top-down.

Thoughts? Over thinking? Zip ties?

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t get the nuts to seat correctly when going top-down. They still interfere with the boot. I think I will do two top-down and two bottom-up.

Edit: I installed the BJ on the arm and tried the cage and nut, it does clear. It is pretty close. Problem solved. I guess these will work well with their arms.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the route I usually go, bolts top down and front to back. (Can’t always do front to back on control arms because of springs/struts etc.) but I try too if it’s an option. Ya know, cause obviously I know more than the engineer that designed it. :rotflmao:

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the route I usually go, bolts top down and front to back. (Can’t always do front to back on control arms because of springs/struts etc.) but I try too if it’s an option. Ya know, cause obviously I know more than the engineer that designed it. :rotflmao:
I confess I’m not familiar with the “front to back” aspect of it. Does this have to do with the install order of the hardware? Like this?

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe he’s talking about the the bolts that attach the control arm to the mounts, front to back.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe he’s talking about the the bolts that attach the control arm to the mounts, front to back.
Ahh, yes. That would make a lot more sense. I already did back to front. Does it make a difference? Just makes for easier adjustments?

The FSM says the upper arm hardware should go from the inside out - front bolt is back to front & rear bolt is front to back.