1998 TCCM bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottergunner

Reaction score
Afternoon guys,

I’m doing some trouble shooting on a 1998 Silverado k1500 with the push button 4wd and have a couple issues and don’t know which way to chase 1st.

Problem 1:
I have no lights on the 4wd shift select buttons other than all 3 lights come on when you first turn the ignition on. And pressing a button yields no results. Also if I remove fuse 2 on the side of the dash the 2HI light illuminates which I thought was odd. 2HI lights goes out as soon as you replace the fuse.

Problem 2:
My snap on scan tool says it is unable to establish communication with the transfer case module BUT if I ground pin 13 in the OBD 2 port I got a code #1 and #2. I cycled the key five times and code # 1 went away but code #2 stayed. I found it odd that I can get diagnostics through the lights but not through my scan tool.

As of this point all that’s left to do is check continuity on the wiring harness from transfer case to the tccm. Have any of yall had any experience with this? And ideas, opinions or suggestions would be much appreciated. I’m kind of learning towards a bad tccm.

Thanks guys, have a good one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1998 Silverado k1500 with the push button 4wd

My snap on scan tool says it is unable to establish communication with the transfer case module
WHICH scan tool?
WHICH software version?
Is there a personality key required? Are you using it?

if I ground pin 13 in the OBD 2 port I got a code #1 and #2. I cycled the key five times and code # 1 went away but code #2 stayed.
Download the service manual set for your vehicle from the links in the Sticky thread section of the Engine forum.

Follow the diagnostic procedure for Code 2.