1998 K1500 JB6 C5S Heavy Half with mixed calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REM777

Reaction score
Dear friends, truck got stolen and the guy drove it like he stole it - got truck back - by the size of the hitch draw head was towing something heavy - anyway - had to do calipers because brakes were down to squeelers . During pad replacement I noticed the two calipers are of different "styles" and thus the caliper pin bushings that that came in the brake kit didnt fit one caliper - one takes the "rings" bushing and the other has a long black silicone sleeve with flanges on both ends of the sleeve. The caliper with the long sleeve seems to be from a K3500. Yet the brake pads fit. Any one have an idea what is going on here ? Also, the brakes wore perfectly symmetrically on both calipers - however the presumed K3500 caliper was worn to squeelers and the other side had a lot of pad left, which suggests more caliper clamping force - yet I never noticed any pulling ever. Any ideas what is going on ? Or what that caliper is ? To make it right - thoughts on caliper upgrade ? JB6 C5S work truck cheyenne.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Seems more likely that one of the calipers is stuck. And if the pads fit both calipers then it's not a K3500 caliper. You'd have to send the clip out to hold it in place in one of those. And the slider mechanism is the same between them both.

REM777

Reaction score
If I was going to make it right - is there a caliper upgrade you can suggest or am I already the best with what I got with the JB6 C5S RPO codes ? thanks

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was going to make it right - is there a caliper upgrade you can suggest or am I already the best with what I got with the JB6 C5S RPO codes ? thanks

You can change to larger diameter piston calipers IF you change the MC too.

Basically it’s a JB7 MC and caliper “upgrade”.

For more details, ask.

Or simply search for “86mm” on GMT400.

REM777

Reaction score
I think I figured this out - from "1998_K1500_sub " - aka NitroJunkie's link in a prior post - the unknown caliper IS the 86 mm and also explains why the unequal pad wear - IE unequal pad clamping force.

Can this be used with the JB6 - C5S brake master - which I replaced in effort to shore up the spongy brakes ?

thank you guys !!

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The smaller calipers are "Low Drag" units that require a third chamber in the master cylinder.

The 86mm calipers are not "Low Drag"; they don't need the third chamber, but they probably could use a two-chamber master cylinder of larger bore diameter.

Use the master cylinder that goes with the calipers, and as said--use larger-bore rear wheel cylinders.

REM777

Reaction score
Stupid question - has anyone ever quantified the low drag of the "low drag" caliper ? Is it almost none measurable ? thanks

BTW - NBS = new body style?

FYI-
You must be registered for see images attach

I used to work with a guy who was an engineer at GM on the GMT400 project - in relating engineering war stories of corporate incompetence's - he told me about the GM bidding process on this truck and the low bid failure of Kelsey Hayes on this brake system - particularly the low fidelity of the antiskid and the issue with wheel speed triggering the antiskid when driving over railroad tracks etc. He said was the worst brake design - but a low cost bidder - He also related that one of the caliper designs actually yield brake caliper piston force - as in spread during hard braking - I never really paid much attention to what he was haranguing about until I bought one of these. The other issue was the excellent cylinder head design with an incredibly lame camshaft and valvespring tension - was all low drag stuff ..

Last edited: