1997 K2500 hydroboost replacement tips or recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey friends, developed a leak on my '97 K2500, 7.4L. looks like it is power steering fluid from the back of the hydroboost unit, suspecting a seal on the pedal rod or the housing. never the less it has to be replaced. not really interested in trying to rebuild it, looks like there are some reman units available. anyone have any tips or watchout fors when doing this? any preferred replacement brands? thanks

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
alright, I took a reman path. it was the inner seals leaking in the hydroboost out the weep hole between it and the master. used a cardine unit. getting the master separate from the hydroboost unit was just about an 1/8" gap to play with, lots of zip ties to hold it and lines out of the way. the real test was getting the clip and brake light switch off the pedal pin. I've got the nv4500, so there is an extra pedal to work around under the dash. there are only a couple of narrow access points under the dash for the clip and hydroboost bolts. used 3/8 swivel, 15mm deep socket and several combos of 3/8 extensions to get to the four bolts for the hydroboost. took out front seat to lay upside down and different contortions. took about 7 hours, only one scraped knuckle, very sore back. at 71, the only tip I've got is find a young person with skinny arms and know how to be the monkey under the dash.