1996 k1500: How do I disconnect the seatbelt connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTSilverado

Reaction score
Seems like it should be obvious, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the driver's side seatbelt warning connector to test it. It seems locked together. I don't know if that's because of corroded contacts or because there's a key or lock method. It has two little grey plastic (keys?) at either end where the wires go in. I was able to pry the lower one off, but the connector is till locked tight together. I don't want to break anything by putting pliers on it.

Anybody know the secret to releasing these (if there is one)?

For me the big problem is accessibility -- extended cab has only one rear door on the passenger side, so I'm lying across the back seat head under, with only a tiny bit of slack in those wires. I can't really see the connector very well. Somebody here must know "Hey just do this and they will come apart easily...."

I've figured out how toi unlock most of the connectors I've needed to on this vehicle, but this seatbelt one has me stumped.

Thanks for any help!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
This is what you're looking for. It's easier to pull apart if you have a small flat screwdriver you can shove in between the two pieces where the catch is.
You must be registered for see images attach