1996 gmc sierra k1500 5.7 4l60e np243

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T1najero

Reaction score
ive been having a/c issues and ive took it to two shops so far and they have both came back with the same thing.

There was a leak , now fixed. I replaced the ac control module. and ultimately it came back as the computer isn’t sending a ground. He said when you hook up the little code reader scanners it reads codes but when you try to hook up a big one to communicate with the ecu it won’t respond. The connector on the ac compressor it’s self it’s melted, he mentioned there is a pin to the computer that is also slightly damaged. They’re going to give me a price to get a new computer and the connector. They said about 3-4 hours of labor to repin. With their supplied parts they guarantee three-year warranty or 30,000 miles but if I supply my parts no warranty. The truck was originally a 305 and by the PO was swapped to a 350. I know when purchasing they go by vin but won’t it cause issues since it’s originally a 305? ive posted in facebook groups and am getting mixed responses. i have people saying in the 96 it wont be the computer at all, and people confirming that the computer is supposed to send the ac a ground. Another reason I’m thinking about supplying my own parts Im looking into getting ecu and wondering if it matters if I can get a computer from the same year model with the 5.7 but 2wd or do I need to get one that has 4x4. someone mentioned to me that if i get one from the same year model but a 2wd 4lo wont work . but if thats incorrect can I also get part of the connector to the ecu and will it work onto mine.