1994 TBI 350 Stretched Timing Chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised it had a TBI style distributor. Mine had a Vortec style spider cap and a crank sensor on it with a black box PCM. Brother also had a 1995 TBI S10 with the same setup on it.
I don't know VIN numbers or option codes...but...there were at least two fueling styles on the 4.3L V6. I thought it was Chevy/GMC, but apparently not.

There's the typical TBI that we all know and love. My buddy has a '94 GMC "S10" with a V6, and it's got Vortec-spider-looking fuel injection. He was concerned that he needed a new spider assembly, and I told him that there were electronic-injector instead of poppet-injector units available for '96-newer. No such luck for '94--'95, because THOSE spiders are batch-fired not sequential injected. There's no spiders available for the '94--'95 AT ALL when he looked. He was very pleased when he installed plug wires, plugs, and maybe cap and rotor and his driveability problems disappeared.

I never saw under-the-hood, so I don't know if he had a crab-cap style distributor. I'll have to ask him.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's grammatically correct. In this case he's using disconnected as a verb, not an adjective, thus it doesn't need a prepositional phrase, but it sounds awkward.

I'm not going to claim you're right or wrong... but you made me want to experiment :biggrin:

And pardon me for taking the thread a bit off-course, but...

I often turn to AI just to see if it will give me a rationale answer or just BS. It'll certainly do both, as I've seen.

In this case:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can say the battery "needs to be disconnected", meaning that it needs to exist in a disconnected state, or you can say the battery "needs disconnected", meaning that you should take the action to disconnect it. "To be" is a very tricky verb.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. "Needs disconnected" is mixing past and future tense, which is confusing but not incorrect. Considered that way it sounds like it's short for "it will need to have been disconnected".

megafan0258

Reaction score
Sorry I've been absent from the conversation, it was the wife's birthday weekend so my truck got put on the back burner.

The confusion behind my question regarding battery disconnect is quite interesting. I should have phrased is like this: "Does the computer need to be reset to clear the old initial timing curve", omitting the battery disconnecting part but I wanted to convey that I understood to disconnect the battery. I also go hung up on using reset twice in the same sentence.

Anyways!

I did have time to play with the truck a little bit and discovered I DID put a gasket on the distributor, so no vacuum leak there.

Also the contacts on the inside of my cap are really black where the rotor sparks over. I thought that was a little odd.

I acquired a Maddox fuel pressure testing kit to check if fuel pressure drops off when snap the throttle. I will be conducting that test once I get the distributor back in and reset timing to 0 and see what values I get on TunerPro.

@PlayingWithTBI I will be getting values for the O2 feedback and "cross counts" like you mentioned before once the work mentioned above is completed. I feel like the intial 7 degrees advancement would cause it to naturally run lean and in turn make my previously posted TunerPro .XDL files values skewed.

Once again my issues where as follows:
Backing Firing through TBI @ WOT
"Laggy" throttle response from a stop (RPMS would go up, fall, go up with more pedal, then fall and then surge upward with more throttle)