1994 GMC K2500, Automatic, 454 Engine - A/C Tends To Short Cycle, Yet It Blows Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should I look into topping off the refrigerant charge, or is it normal for 1990's GM truck compressors to short cycle like this one?

It seems to work well and blows reasonably cold despite this short cycling, so I haven't worried about it too much, but I thought I'd ask, since it would be awful for the A/C to go out during a heatwave such as the one that's been ongoing out here in California, and being as this is the only GMC of any sort that I've ever had any experience with, I'm not super familiar with what "normal" A/C compressor behavior is, since it has been working like this since I bought the truck back in 2017.

c

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Short cycling could be a sign of an over-charged system.

Somebody could have emptied an extra can of juice into it thinking it would help, take it to an AC pro and let them get it to the correct levels.

Also there are R134A 'replacements' that really throw off the system if they are just added to normal R134a.

Again, take it to a pro and have them look at it and possibly flush/fill the system with the correct stuff.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@RichLo OK, that sounds like a good idea.

The truck is due for service anyway, so I'll bring it up when I take it in.

c