1994 GMC C1500 fuel line repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SterlingT

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. got a question and I need answers.. lol..
On my '94 GMC 2wd ext. cab 1500 5.7L, the fuel line cracked and broke three inches from the carb. I know this is a problem for most. I don't want to replace the whole line and I don't want to simply install a rubber hose with clamps. What I would like to do is flare both ends of the hard lines and install a SS braided line (about three inches long) in between them. What do I need?

Thanking you in advance,
Sterling

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Instead of introducing more connections in the line, I'd try to find a replacement line from a boneyard truck. You can look at 1988-1995 TBI small-block equipped trucks, doesn't matter 1500-2500-3500. Be sure pick up some new o-rings, too - super cheap; Standard # SK18 from Rockauto, also available at most local parts stores as well.

If you use two wrenches clocked a little apart from each other - one on the adapter fitting into the back of the TBI, and the other on the coupling nut on the line, and squeeze them together in your hand, you should be able to break the nut loose without twisting the metal portion of the line.

Richard

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instead of introducing more connections in the line, I'd try to find a replacement line from a boneyard truck. You can look at 1988-1995 TBI small-block equipped trucks, doesn't matter 1500-2500-3500. Be sure pick up some new o-rings, too - super cheap; Standard # SK18 from Rockauto, also available at most local parts stores as well.

If you use two wrenches clocked a little apart from each other - one on the adapter fitting into the back of the TBI, and the other on the coupling nut on the line, and squeeze them together in your hand, you should be able to break the nut loose without twisting the metal portion of the line.

Richard
I was in the middle of typing almost the exact same thing when your reply popped up.

The TBI trucks only run 9-12 psi but I still wouldn't introduce any more potential failure points if not absolutely necessary. It's not a hard line to replace and I feel like adding possible places for it to leak, being between the block and firewall is a bad place to do so. I bought brand new fuel lines front to back for my 94 for somewhere around 175 that were pre-bent and ready to go.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to flare a steel line that short. Great for practice, not practical in use.
Stainless Teflon line normally female both ends. An style is 37°.
Your going to flare your steel lines? Over the auto counter flaring kits are 45°.
Easier and simpler to replace with new or used serviceable. It's not that long of fuel line.