1993 Yukon crate motor hydraulic roller lifter cleaning and adjustment journey - (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're that concerned, buy an oil sample kit, and send off a sample for lab analysis next time.
yes I planned to after I get some miles on this change. Was going to go for another cleaning after 1500 miles then change and run 1500 more miles and send it in but I'll skip that and just get some miles on this 15w40 diesel oil......
I mean, the swirlies and streaks shouldn't get better if something were grinding away? Or maybe it's done grinding away something??

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I second Schurkey. Send off a sample. I’ve used, and others, Blackstone Labs. Think its $35-40 now.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second Schurkey. Send off a sample. I’ve used, and others, Blackstone Labs. Think its $35-40 now.
How many miles should I put on this oil change?

edit//// Just requested a kit.... Says 1 to 2 weeks to receive..... .says $35

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles should I put on this oil change?

edit//// Just requested a kit.... Says 1 to 2 weeks to receive..... .says $35
I can't provide any guidance on that, sorry. If you wanted to check it without changing the oil and filter, there is the option to suction some oil out with a small tube through the dipstick tube for a sample then top off the engine. (Or crack the plug loose and fill the bottle, reinsert plug and top off).

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just pulled the adapter...
Quite a few little black micro pieces of I hope carbon here and there inside.....need to look at them closer... Want to say they wouldn't dissolve by rubbing between my fingers but I'm not clear if carbon always does....
Valve seems responsive and springy...
Can I dunk this thing in lacquer thinner or just try to brake clean ... Would do both and air....Just wasn't sure if there's anything to be aware of.....
It's not terrible but there is some black in there....

I'll cut open newish filter tomorrow....maybe tonight....
So, I think I may have missed a step when trying to clean my oil filter adapter. When switching my oil to a heavier weight recently, the threaded portion of the adapter came out with the filter. At least a lot of the way.
I don't think I removed it when I cleaned everything before and my picture notes somewhat verify this because it is present in them. The manual is leading me to think that is the bypass valve and the disc I was focused on is the valve disc.
So.... That's kind of a stupid thing to not remove it to clean when my goal was to clean the bypass valve? Or is that not going to matter if I missed removing it and cleaning?

Attachments

• IMG20240707202758.jpg
    IMG20240707202758.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 4