1993 K1500 Clutch Fork Pivot Ball Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rehoward

Reaction score
I am still working on my 1993 K1500 clutch replacement which has turned into a much bigger job than I had originally planned
to do. Now I need to replace the clutch fork pivot bearing which seems to be pressed into the bellhousing. The ball is all gnarly from
wear and I can't see putting the trans back in without addressing the pivot bearing.

How do I get the old pivot bearing out and replace it with a new one? Do I need a special puller or does it unscrew somehow?

What a pita this job has become with sheared off exhaust studs and the need to buy new exhaust manifolds and to replace the
crossover pipe which I had to saw out. While I am at it I am replacing the trans and motor mounts and all four universal joints.
And the transfer case output seal. And the spark plugs and new oil and filter etc. etc. The parts list seems never ending and I was
foolish enough to think this would be a piece of cake to do.

And now the frigging pivot ball. Beam me up Scotty, I have had enough fun for today!

Randy

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
I don't have the answer but I can tell you from recent experience reading here, another member tried to remove his and broke the holy crap out of the casting the ball resides in. So proceed with caution and more information.

Richard

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have the answer but I can tell you from recent experience reading here, another member tried to remove his and broke the holy crap out of the casting the ball resides in. So proceed with caution and more information.

Richard
That would be me while manual swapping my truck! I ordered a pivot ball kit with a puller tool from AllState Gear.

It was total junk. First of all, the pivot ball wasn’t even the right one for my truck. My original didn’t have splines, the replacement did.

2nd of all the tool is extremely flawed and is what caused the casting to break a chunk off.

The tool does pull out the pivot ball, but in doing so puts extreme pressure on the aluminum case surrounding the pivot ball, which in my case was enough to break a chunk off of the case.

Not wanting to get the aluminum welded I sent it and got the pivot ball pressed back in with what casting was left. It still felt secure, but I put high heat jbweld putty all around it. I am happy to report ive driven it ~2500 miles since the swap and haven’t had any problems with the pivot ball…. Knock on wood.

The best bet for getting it out would be using something that puts no pressure on the case at all. First thing that comes to mind is modifying a pair of vice grips to screw onto the end of a slide hammer and using that to press it out.

Best of luck!