1992 GMC k1500 Roadworthy refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airdrieAMX

Reaction score
New member here, I thought I’d start a thread to document the mechanical rebuild of this new to me truck. It’s in pretty decent condition inside and out considering its age, the idea here is a little paint correction here and there. There is 2 small rust issues to deal with but nothing major. The biggest issue is the mechanical, I think the truck has been off the road for some time and it leaks oil from litterally everywhere just sitting in the garage there’s puddles under the rear diff, transfer case & engine. The goal is a nice driver with rebuilt drivetrain without going down the rathole of a body off restoration, already did that with a squarebody and at the end of it it’s too nice to drive or park anywhere LOL.
Plan is to gather some parts and pull the drivetrain out this fall and go through everything to make it roadworthy. It has the TBI 305 in it which will be replaced with a TBI 350 (big thanks to Sean Buick76 for offering this up!)
I do have a question about replacing the grille, it currently has the stock all chrome 92 grille in if and I’d like to swap it out for the 94up all chrome grille. Is there any modifications needed? Do the current left and right small filler panels bolt to it any other parts needed? I’ll post some pics of the truck and grille any help is appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

airdrieAMX

Reaction score
That's awesome that your daughter is going to be a part of this project. There is nothing like tearing down an engine to get a real understanding of how it all works as well as making great memories with her too.
Thanks! Yeah my 16 year old son has no interest in how things work as long as his car gets him around lol.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are 3 bumper fillers for the newer grill that need to go in. Then the side marker lights. Not 100% sure if the early headlights and signal lights will fit either. And the two center bumper brackets will need to get changed to the newer ones as well.

Neat your daughter wants to get involved. Don't count the boy out yet, he may come to his senses once he sees you working on it with her.

And I think I can still smell that engine from here!!! Lol
I was there the day before you picked it up. Definitely has that farmyard smell going on!! Lol

That can be her first job.....a few cans of degreaser and some elbow grease are in her future!!! Gotta earn working on a clean motor.

Can't wait to see you making progress on your build.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 350 that will replace the original 305. It will get torn down this fall, my daughter who’s 14 is as big a gearhead as me will be helping out with the rebuild of this and the rest of the mechanical.

This shop photo gives off a good vibe. First off, when I see the advert for the Aviation Form-A-Gasket I can still smell
the 'I mean business' scent of that sealant. :0) Also, there's a grass-skirted Hula Girl shop mascot - always a good sign
of a chill working space. (Hula Girl perpetual road trip safety dance)

But the real reason I'm replying to your thread is your comment about your dad-n-daughter project. Be sure to show
her this PHOTO and tell her that being able to ride around in something that *you put together with your own hands*
is a thrill every time the starter cranks and the engine thunders into life. She is heading into a world where everyone
can do the virtual stuff, but few can/will make a difference in the real world. Her mind will be challenged in 3 dimensions
instead of just 2, and she will be earning serious street cred with both fellow students and us old timers. Nice.

That's a beautiful truck, with a sharp engine bay in it's future. Looking forward to seeing your updates & watching
the progress from south of your border. :0)

Best of luck --

Last edited:

airdrieAMX

Reaction score
There are 3 bumper fillers for the newer grill that need to go in. Then the side marker lights. Not 100% sure if the early headlights and signal lights will fit either. And the two center bumper brackets will need to get changed to the newer ones as well.

Neat your daughter wants to get involved. Don't count the boy out yet, he may come to his senses once he sees you working on it with her.

And I think I can still smell that engine from here!!! Lol
I was there the day before you picked it up. Definitely has that farmyard smell going on!! Lol

That can be her first job.....a few cans of degreaser and some elbow grease are in her future!!! Gotta earn working on a clean motor.

Can't wait to see you making progress on your build.
Thanks for that explanation, I managed to find all the filler panels locally here in Airdrie on the weekend. The side lights I still have to source and it looks like the head lights & signal lights will work. I think I can modify the bumper brackets to work as well.
Took a bit of a break for holidays but I’m back on it now. Kate and I tore the 350 down today, no big surprises just a well worn engine which is exactly what I expected. The bores are clean but there’s a big ridge so it’ll likely need to be machined. There is plenty of varnish and cooked oil but surprisingly no sludge it’s pretty clean. Even the cam and lifters look good pretty crazy given this has over 300km, if I have that right.

Attachments

• IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5085.jpeg
    IMG_5085.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5087.jpeg
    IMG_5087.jpeg
    510.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5088.jpeg
    IMG_5088.jpeg