1991 no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vvphillips15

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 1991 k2500 with 5.7l. It will not crank and starter solenoid is not clicking. I tried looking through all the threads I could to try and troubleshoot with any information on here but still can’t figure it out. I’ll just list everything I’ve checked so far. Battery voltage is good. Benched tested starter and it tests good. Load tested negative cable going to intake and load tested positive cable going to starter. I’m getting battery voltage at positive cable at starter. I did notice I’m getting slightly less than battery voltage at the purple solenoid wire at the starter solenoid. Battery voltage is 11.9 and at the s terminal while cranking I’m getting 11.6v. Could that be enough to not engage solenoid?

All lights on dash come on when key is in ignition trying to start. I get good ground while touching starter case. I’m at a loss. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How old is the battery? If its past 3yrs it would be a prime suspect. Charge and Load test the battery. Anything done recently?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I agree, check the battery with a properly done load test. Also how good are the connections at battery terminals and grounds on engine and frame? I've seen bad connections do this, also a bad or weak battery will do it.
If you bypass the solenoid, does the starter spin? Solenoid or starter can have a bad spot internally and it won't work until that is bypassed, or when the unit cools off. A starter draws a LOT of current for a short time, and they do heat up from that. And will heat up worse if an internal issue exists, or if the exhaust is too close to the starter.
My family has owned many cars and trucks, and in the Houston, Texas area, with Gulf Coast heat and humidity most of the year, we've had to put a new battery in every 2 1/2 to 3 years. Maybe one lasted longer, over like 20-25 vehicles.

vvphillips15

Reaction score
How old is the battery? If it’s past 3yrs it would be a prime suspect. Charge and Load test the battery. Anything done recently?
I just bought the truck about 6 months ago so I’m not sure how old the battery is but I’ll check it and the connections and report back. I haven’t done anything with the truck yet as far as engine.

vvphillips15

Reaction score
I agree, check the battery with a properly done load test. Also how good are the connections at battery terminals and grounds on engine and frame? I've seen bad connections do this, also a bad or weak battery will do it.
If you bypass the solenoid, does the starter spin? Solenoid or starter can have a bad spot internally and it won't work until that is bypassed, or when the unit cools off. A starter draws a LOT of current for a short time, and they do heat up from that. And will heat up worse if an internal issue exists, or if the exhaust is too close to the starter.
My family has owned many cars and trucks, and in the Houston, Texas area, with Gulf Coast heat and humidity most of the year, we've had to put a new battery in every 2 1/2 to 3 years. Maybe one lasted longer, over like 20-25 vehicles.
I’ll check the battery and connections. First thing I did was try and jump start but maybe the terminals aren’t making a good enough connection. I tried bypassing the starter solenoid by taking the purple wire off and supplying battery voltage to it but the starter still wouldn’t spin. I just used a small gauge jumper wire for this. I checked the battery ground going to the intake. Is there a link to where the other grounds are? Thanks for the replies!

caminonut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can take a test light and check the purple solenoid wire on the starter to see if it lights in the crank position.
If not bypass the neutral safety switch and see if it lights up then.
That will let you know if your neutral safety switch is good or out of adjustment.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No crank and no click from the starter solenoid typically is an indication that there is a problem between the key and the started, typically related to the neutral saftey switch as mentioned by caminonut.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you still running side posts or have you converted to top post? Either way, remove the terminals, clean them thoroughly with a wire brush, and re-install.

If the solenoid is clicking and it's cranking slow, then the problem is on the high current side. The low current side has succeeded if the solenoid engages.

vvphillips15

Reaction score
Are you still running side posts or have you converted to top post? Either way, remove the terminals, clean them thoroughly with a wire brush, and re-install.

If the solenoid is clicking and it's cranking slow, then the problem is on the high current side. The low current side has succeeded if the solenoid engages.
It’s the side posts so I can look into that. The solenoid doesn’t click at all when key is in crank position.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought the truck about 6 months ago so I’m not sure how old the battery is but I’ll check it and the connections and report back. I haven’t done anything with the truck yet as far as engine.
good lookin truck btw