1990 5.7 TUNE UP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etxjoe

Reaction score
NEW USER! 1990 5.7 350! This is the first time i treat myself!
i am super excited! i want to keep the truck happy and keep her forever!
My plan is to do a good ol' fashion tune up and change out some miscellaneous parts.
i will make a list below so let me know what you think?

but first i need some help on the follwing subjects:
does AC DELCO make a fuel filter?
does AC DELCO make idle control valve?
thoughts on changing the transmission fluid?
thoughts on changing the differential fluid?
advice on installing these parts?
WHAT AM I MISSING? :)

good ol' fashion tune up:
spark plugs AC DELCO 41-803
spark plug wires AC DELCO 618V
distributor cap AC DELCO D303A
distributor rotor AC DELCO D447
fuel filter K&N PF-1000

miscellaneous parts:
idle control valve Delphi CV10033
secondary air injection valve AC DELCO 19307616
egr valve AC DELCO 214-5073
canister purge valve AC DELCO 215-700

BONUS:
carpet dash cover
chevy steering wheel cover
umbrella windshield sun shade
heartbeat of america license plate frame

Thank You

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1990 5.7 350!
What vehicle? C1500 regular-cab pickup? K2500 extended-cab? Suburban? What transmission?

does AC DELCO make a fuel filter?
Far as I know, ACDelco makes NOTHING.

They are a sales agency that buys-in their entire product line from outside suppliers; with a proclivity for Made-In-China production of many items.

ACDelco has at least three "lines" of product. They sell cheap aftermarket crap in their "discount" line, they sell better aftermarket crap in their mid-grade line, and they sell what they claim is original-equipment quality in their top-grade line...but "OEM quality" doesn't mean it was made by the same folks that made the part GM used on the assembly line.

does AC DELCO make idle control valve?
WHY do you need an IAC? Have you actually done the diagnosis to prove the original valve is defective?

thoughts on changing the transmission fluid?
Absolutely. I disconnect a trans cooler tube, and route the fluid into a drain pan. Start the engine, let the trans pump the pan nearly-dry. Then you un-bolt the pan and it's not slobbering all over you as it comes off.

Clean the pan 'n' magnet (Some transmissions have a service bulletin for replacing the original magnet with TWO new/bigger/badder magnets) and replace the filter. I generally do not replace the seal in the trans that the filter plugs-into. Reinstall pan using the original gasket if it's the steel/rubber gasket style, otherwise use the gasket that comes with the filter.

Drop 5 quarts of trans fluid in the pan, open ten more and get 'em handy. Start the engine, dump fluid down the dipstick tube as fast as it will flow. Watch the fluid spraying into the drain pan. When the fluid spewing out of the cooler tube is bright, virgin red, shut off engine. Re-connect cooler tube, top off fluid as needed. You've just changed 95% of the fluid in the trans, instead of ~50%.

thoughts on changing the differential fluid?
Absolutely. Use the correct fluid! Change front and rear differentials if 4WD.

WHAT AM I MISSING?
Replace O2 Sensor. They get slow and weak with age. Some folks are upgrading to a 3-wire, heated sensor. But even a single wire, OEM-style sensor is better than an ancient sensor.
Flush brake fluid--I don't remember if a '90 has the iron RWAL with bleeder screw, or aluminum RWAL which needs a scan tool to properly bleed. Clean the fluid reservoir. Verify the three rubber brake hoses. Assure no leakage at the rear wheel cylinders especially. LOOK AT YOUR BRAKE CODE, which is likely JN/JB3, or JN/JB5. Might be JN/JB6 depending on vehicle. The "3" brakes are the weakest, crappiest brakes ever installed on a GMT400 vehicle. The "5" brakes are fine up front, but crappy in the rear.
Flush PS fluid, install PS filter in the return hose.
Flush coolant, including removing the block drain plug and knock sensor to drain the water jacket of the block. Consider all new rubber hoses while the coolant is drained. Look in the radiator, see if there's scale build-up. Make sure the fan clutch engages.
Transfer case lube (Buy extra Dex/Merc fluid when you get the fluid for the transmission.)
Grease all zerks in front suspension, check driveshaft for zerks.
Check air filter and air cleaner housing--does the heated air intake system still work?
Verify PCV system.
Check tire wear--showing signs of needing an alignment, or more-likely, parts replacement?
TBI distributors are known to have problems with the magnet on the mainshaft. Magnet cracks, ignition problems follow.
You must be registered for see images attach

EVERYTHING RUBBER is suspect. Belt (and tensioner), coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, grommets, control arm bushings, body bushings, tires, and so forth.

Verify everything safety-related: Brakes, steering, suspension. You're just about guaranteed to find heaps of worn-out suspension/steering components in particular the steering shaft rag-joint, but everything in general. Look at your rear-axle U-bolts. Commonly rusted beyond belief.

Connect a scan tool, verify EVERY sensor and computer output. Make sure the initial timing and electronic advance are correct/functional. Check fuel trims. See if there's any "codes".

spark plugs AC DELCO 41-803
spark plug wires AC DELCO 618V
distributor cap AC DELCO D303A
distributor rotor AC DELCO D447
fuel filter K&N PF-1000
I haven't verified that these part numbers are correct.

idle control valve Delphi CV10033
secondary air injection valve AC DELCO 19307616
egr valve AC DELCO 214-5073
canister purge valve AC DELCO 215-700
Again...have you tested these items to see if they actually need to be changed?

It is REAL EASY to CAUSE problems by replacing good OEM parts with crappy aftermarket parts.

chris032188

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sounds like a good plan! My advice is to only make a few changes at a time. That way if you have an issue it’s easier to track down the problem.
I agree with this, I bought a truck that has a "newer" engine thrown in. It ran good until I started cleaning up wiring and connecting all the sensors they never connected then it ran like ****.

etxjoe

Reaction score
wow guys i am blown away from all the phenomenal feedback! im going to thoroughly read each response and reply! after the maintance i plan to tint and of course cooper cobras and let it ride!!! for now, here are all the truck's info:

Attachments

• IMG_7284.jpg
    IMG_7284.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 8

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are changing the transmission fluid, for the love of God..... DON'T POWER FLUSH IT!!!
Just do it like Schurkey said.
I had mine power flushed, just asked them to change the fluid, 2 days later it was scattered all over the highway!!

And ya ...one part at a time.

etxjoe

Reaction score
I agree with this, I bought a truck that has a "newer" engine thrown in. It ran good until I started cleaning up wiring and connecting all the sensors they never connected then it ran like ****.
okay i will take it easy as that seems the correct thing to do. which parts do you reccomend i start with?

etxjoe

Reaction score
If you are changing the transmission fluid, for the love of God..... DON'T POWER FLUSH IT!!!
Just do it like Schurkey said.
I had mine power flushed, just asked them to change the fluid, 2 days later it was scattered all over the highway!!

And ya ...one part at a time.
i will most likely do it like schurkey said! i feel like i have to after acquiring such knowledge

etxjoe

Reaction score
What vehicle? C1500 regular-cab pickup? K2500 extended-cab? Suburban? What transmission?

Far as I know, ACDelco makes NOTHING.

They are a sales agency that buys-in their entire product line from outside suppliers; with a proclivity for Made-In-China production of many items.

ACDelco has at least three "lines" of product. They sell cheap aftermarket crap in their "discount" line, they sell better aftermarket crap in their mid-grade line, and they sell what they claim is original-equipment quality in their top-grade line...but "OEM quality" doesn't mean it was made by the same folks that made the part GM used on the assembly line.

WHY do you need an IAC? Have you actually done the diagnosis to prove the original valve is defective?

Absolutely. I disconnect a trans cooler tube, and route the fluid into a drain pan. Start the engine, let the trans pump the pan nearly-dry. Then you un-bolt the pan and it's not slobbering all over you as it comes off.

Clean the pan 'n' magnet (Some transmissions have a service bulletin for replacing the original magnet with TWO new/bigger/badder magnets) and replace the filter. I generally do not replace the seal in the trans that the filter plugs-into. Reinstall pan using the original gasket if it's the steel/rubber gasket style, otherwise use the gasket that comes with the filter.

Drop 5 quarts of trans fluid in the pan, open ten more and get 'em handy. Start the engine, dump fluid down the dipstick tube as fast as it will flow. Watch the fluid spraying into the drain pan. When the fluid spewing out of the cooler tube is bright, virgin red, shut off engine. Re-connect cooler tube, top off fluid as needed. You've just changed 95% of the fluid in the trans, instead of ~50%.

Absolutely. Use the correct fluid! Change front and rear differentials if 4WD.

Replace O2 Sensor. They get slow and weak with age. Some folks are upgrading to a 3-wire, heated sensor. But even a single wire, OEM-style sensor is better than an ancient sensor.
Flush brake fluid--I don't remember if a '90 has the iron RWAL with bleeder screw, or aluminum RWAL which needs a scan tool to properly bleed. Clean the fluid reservoir. Verify the three rubber brake hoses. Assure no leakage at the rear wheel cylinders especially. LOOK AT YOUR BRAKE CODE, which is likely JN/JB3, or JN/JB5. Might be JN/JB6 depending on vehicle. The "3" brakes are the weakest, crappiest brakes ever installed on a GMT400 vehicle. The "5" brakes are fine up front, but crappy in the rear.
Flush PS fluid, install PS filter in the return hose.
Flush coolant, including removing the block drain plug and knock sensor to drain the water jacket of the block. Consider all new rubber hoses while the coolant is drained. Look in the radiator, see if there's scale build-up. Make sure the fan clutch engages.
Transfer case lube (Buy extra Dex/Merc fluid when you get the fluid for the transmission.)
Grease all zerks in front suspension, check driveshaft for zerks.
Check air filter and air cleaner housing--does the heated air intake system still work?
Verify PCV system.
Check tire wear--showing signs of needing an alignment, or more-likely, parts replacement?
TBI distributors are known to have problems with the magnet on the mainshaft. Magnet cracks, ignition problems follow.

EVERYTHING RUBBER is suspect. Belt (and tensioner), coolant hoses, vacuum hoses, grommets, control arm bushings, body bushings, tires, and so forth.

Verify everything safety-related: Brakes, steering, suspension. You're just about guaranteed to find heaps of worn-out suspension/steering components in particular the steering shaft rag-joint, but everything in general. Look at your rear-axle U-bolts. Commonly rusted beyond belief.

Connect a scan tool, verify EVERY sensor and computer output. Make sure the initial timing and electronic advance are correct/functional. Check fuel trims. See if there's any "codes".

I haven't verified that these part numbers are correct.

Again...have you tested these items to see if they actually need to be changed?

It is REAL EASY to CAUSE problems by replacing good OEM parts with crappy aftermarket parts.
thank you for all this knowledge. it will be what i use for my truck! im excited!
i will start with all the flushes that you have listed to get things up to date!
IAC was just a part i though would need changing by now but i may just hold off on my changing everything frenzy and focus on the most common parts that should be changed by now like the 02 sensor you mention. What other parts would you recommend i change out? also i took a peek at my coolant and it is brownish... any idea what i should do there?
here are all the vehicle specs:

Attachments

• IMG_7284.jpg
    IMG_7284.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 3