1989 k1500 ac issue. New compressor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norcal707

Reaction score
So, I live in expensive Cali. Where it costs $500 just to ask a question about my ac. Anyways, enough ranting. My old ac compressor fell apart. So, I bought a new one threw it in thought it would work like the other one did before the pully nearly fell apart on it. And nooo. I took it to a mechanic he hooked his handy dandy 500000 dollar machine up and started putting Freon in. I’m like cool. Just give it time and it will come on. Well noooo on that too. So, he took all his Freon back didn’t charge me, what a guy right? So, I get it home, I’m like what’s the issue. I use the paper clip trick and bam it comes on. So I’m like ok something small is going on. So I move on. Im like hmmm is it the hvqc?

The hvac? Well I can hear it click when I hit the ac button, it’s a little ruff but it still blows out hot air. And the buttons engage…So I ruled that out (could be wrong?).

Next I just sucked it up and bought a brand new pressure switch thinking that was the issue? And no luck.

Next I checked the fuse under the driver side to see if that was it and that was fine (I mean the heater is working).

So finally I decided to hook up an old pressure gauge from a pro ac bottle just to see if it’s low and it’s in the green lol. I think the gauge might be trash I don’t know.

The only thing I can think of is a hidden wire or the mechanic dude tried to play me.

I’m thinking I should just buy $200 in Freon and see but that’s a huge waste if it doesn’t work.

Wiring also looks fine. I don’t really know what to do. Mechanic will want some real cash to find the issue. Cash most Californians just can’t spare at the moment.

By the way k would just say screw it but I’m trying to fix my truck and give it to an elderly person who’s car is basically on its last legs at least they will have transportation to get to work and back.

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It seems like you don't have an understanding of how or why any of the air conditioning system works. If there's no refrigerant in it, you should not run the compressor. Nothing will work without the refrigerant. Ever.
You need to do things properly... like evacuation of the system, pulling a vacuum and verifying it doesn't leak, getting the right amount of pag oil in the right places, charging it with the proper weight of refrigerant, and making sure you don't contaminate your charge.
If you aren't willing to do the reading, and the learning, and throw some money at this, I'd probably point you at an AC delete bracket. Just a pulley and a bearing, and you don't have to worry about it.

Norcal707

Reaction score
It seems like you don't have an understanding of how or why any of the air conditioning system works. If there's no refrigerant in it, you should not run the compressor. Nothing will work without the refrigerant. Ever.
You need to do things properly... like evacuation of the system, pulling a vacuum and verifying it doesn't leak, getting the right amount of pag oil in the right places, charging it with the proper weight of refrigerant, and making sure you don't contaminate your charge.
If you aren't willing to do the reading, and the learning, and throw some money at this, I'd probably point you at an AC delete bracket. Just a pulley and a bearing, and you don't have to worry about it.
Not trying to sound malicious. But I did say that we had it filled at a shop and the compressor wouldn’t start. The mechanic sucked the Freon back into the machine because the compressor wouldn’t kick on. It’s a brand new compressor the previous one worked fine the bearing went out in it.

I replaced the switch but that wasn’t the problem as it kicked on before. It’s not that I don’t want to throw money to fix it. It’s that I don’t want to waste money to fix it chasing a ghost. A bottle of 20 oz Freon is $75 alone to fill it is about $130. It adds up quick.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the paper clip trick and bam it comes on. So I’m like ok something small is going on.
What's "the paper clip trick"? Is that when you short out the Low Pressure Cycling Switch and it runs? That tells me it's something in that switch and/or how it's mounted. There's a Schraeder valve behind it, maybe it's not opening? Maybe your switch is bad out of the box? Maybe the connector is worn out or too corroded to make a good connection? You can put an Ohm meter on the switch to see if it closes.

Here's a schematic from my 88 but, s/b the same on your 89 for further reference.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If there's no refrigerant in the system and it's below pressure, you can still make it run by jumping the switch. If a mechanic added refrigerant, and then sucked it all back out.... Jumping the low pressure switch won't make it cool. And if that mechanic removed all the refrigerant, why is a gauge still showing pressure? And if he left refrigerant in the system, why didn't he charge you? What kind of refrigerant is it?

When your last compressor "fell apart" was is all external damage, or did it lock up? If it locked up, what parts did you replace in addition to the compressor? The system is extremely sensitive to debris. Your orifice tube, and condenser will clog super easily.

Norcal707

Reaction score
What's "the paper clip trick"? Is that when you short out the Low Pressure Cycling Switch and it runs? That tells me it's something in that switch and/or how it's mounted. There's a Schraeder valve behind it, maybe it's not opening? Maybe your switch is bad out of the box? Maybe the connector is worn out or too corroded to make a good connection? You can put an Ohm meter on the switch to see if it closes.

Here's a schematic from my 88 but, s/b the same on your 89 for further reference.
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah the paper clip does exactly that and the compressor flips on.You know I thought the same thing. Maybe the dryer is done and that valve isn’t opening up? I’ll check out the reading on the ohm reader. I mean this only other thing I can think of is the mechanic I took it too didn’t put in 36 oz, maybe he was treying to get me to come back.

Norcal707

Reaction score
If there's no refrigerant in the system and it's below pressure, you can still make it run by jumping the switch. If a mechanic added refrigerant, and then sucked it all back out.... Jumping the low pressure switch won't make it cool. And if that mechanic removed all the refrigerant, why is a gauge still showing pressure? And if he left refrigerant in the system, why didn't he charge you? What kind of refrigerant is it?

When your last compressor "fell apart" was is all external damage, or did it lock up? If it locked up, what parts did you replace in addition to the compressor? The system is extremely sensitive to debris. Your orifice tube, and condenser will clog super easily.
It won’t make it cool, I know that, and im not leaving that paper clip on there long enough to short the compressor or other things out.

I replaced nothing just the compressor, with some minor adjustments of a pulley and the serpentine. should have been easy enough. What caused the failure in the first place was one of the pulleys I the front was off center, due to a broken off bolt head not keeping it stable, plus the serpentine belt was a little too tight. I think the bearing on the ac compressor was also worn and ready to go that was just part of it.

The gauge I’m using is worthless garbage. It’s the ones you get the Freon at the part store. Most inaccurate trash. Here’s a quick little question if it’s not kicking on the lines wouldn’t get cold huh? I wouldn’t be able to tell if the thing is filled by touch since it’s not turning on in the first place???
My big dilemma is taking it in to a mechanic and having. Them charge me through the roof and them not being able to fix the issue. I mean look at what happened with the other guy, he acted clueless.

Is there a way to take my own refrigerant out if I throw 36oz in there just to see if the mechanic screwed up on the amount he put in??