1988 SBC No Crank Condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blake88

Reaction score
Hey guys, as I was checking my fuse box for power, mainly the crank fuse, with a test light… Purple wire coming from the ignition switch and Purple/White going to the (ECM). I must have jumped them by accident with the test light, cause the truck started. Couple questions for anyone familiar please?
1) Why would that start my truck
2) What do you think is the issue with it not starting

Thanks to anyone taking the time to help. Great source of information here on this forum.

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you end up having any bad fuses? Doyou have the manual? If not you can download it from this forum. What model,year,engine,tranny(sorry, transmission :) )? Probably a pretty good step by step in the manual for no crank. That being said, what have you tried so far?

Blake88

Reaction score
Did you end up having any bad fuses? Doyou have the manual? If not you can download it from this forum. What model,year,engine,tranny(sorry, transmission :) )? Probably a pretty good step by step in the manual for no crank. That being said, what have you tried so far?
It is a 1988 Silverado C1500 305 with a 5.0 V8, all my fuses are good. Junction block and fusible links have power. Good batt cables.
Yes, I have all of the manuals and diagrams. I just don’t understand what started my truck. I would like to fix the issue, but I need to understand it first. As soon as I took my test light away, I guess the contact broke and engine quit running. Excited to know everything works and engine sounded great, but it doesn’t fix my no crank. I accidentally jumped the starter/ignition switch/crank fuse purple wire with the crank fuse/ECM purple/white wire. At least, that’s what I think happened.
My truck is all stock, so I had to update all the usual suspects. Truck sat for a long time.