14ff corporate vs AAM 10.5- parts compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the following parts are the same between the axles:

The metal gasket that goes under the axle shaft against the housing
The bolts that hold the axle shaft, I imagine one is SAE and one is Metric, but are they "the same" threads enough to be used in either
The cover on the pumpkin and the gasket beneath it (could a lubelocker gasket be used on either?)

(shameless repost from gmsquarebody)

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the following parts are the same between the axles:

The metal gasket that goes under the axle shaft against the housing
The bolts that hold the axle shaft, I imagine one is SAE and one is Metric, but are they "the same" threads enough to be used in either
The cover on the pumpkin and the gasket beneath it (could a lubelocker gasket be used on either?)

(shameless repost from gmsquarebody)
Use rock auto part search for stuff like this

Add the vehicle in question that has the 14b, get part numbers for parts you need

Axle flange gasket
Axle flange bolt
Diff cover bolts
Diff cover gasket

Do the same for truck with the aam 10.5

If rock auto doesn't have it check drivetrain sites or OEM chevy parts sites like gmpartsdirecr or whatever it is nowadays

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First your asking about axle flange to drum hub gasket and bolts. Now something about rear diff cover?
GMpartsGiant.com. Gives the size, type of hardware, even if it's no longer available. Get the info from the source.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Guess with no evidence: Everything is the same. What isn't identical is functionally interchangeable. (Don't put SAE bolts into Metric holes. But I bet the holes are not metric.)

I bought the Fel-Pro axle gaskets 55350 to replace the crappy silicone sealer; I bought a differential cover and Fel-Pro 55063 cover gasket to replace the cover that had two rust holes in it. The replacement cover had four short "standoffs" on the bolt holes nearest the axle tubes. So it was entirely interchangeable except I needed four bolts that were a quarter-inch longer.
You must be registered for see images attach

AAM is just a spin-off of GM, who then sells the product to GM and whoever else can be convinced to buy it..."Ram", for instance.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This is the second thread you've been asking axle questions. If I didn't already give you the answers you needed, it's because I'm confused on what you're trying to do.

I suspect there's a miscommunication due to terms. Assuming the late-400/800 era, there are either no AAM 10.5" axles, or they're all 10.5" AAM axles. Here's why: Any corporate GM axle made after March of 1994, was made by AAM. That's when GM sold it's axle business. The axles didn't change. Changes came later, to accommodate the new 800 platform, but they were still basically GM corporate 14-bolts, as far as I know. There could have been small engineering changes, but it would mostly have been tube length and disc brakes.

The Dodge axles were what drifted from the original GM designs. GM never made an 11.5" axle themselves, so I've always seen them refereed to as an 11.5" AAM, whether GM or Dodge. My theory is that any parts labeled for the AAM 10.5 are probably Dodge parts, or it's a modern revision/terminolgy, becasuse the GM axles didn't really change enough to be anything but a GM 14BFF. I'll admit, this does kind get into popular culture/terminolgy, kinda like what's an "LS" engine. Official GM terminolgy could be different.

So, if you're looking to put Dodge (10.5" AAM) parts on a GM axle, it's going to be a case by case basis, but probably no. If you're looking to put a newer GM part, on an older truck/axle, you're chances are much better.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First your asking about axle flange to drum hub gasket and bolts. Now something about rear diff cover?
GMpartsGiant.com. Gives the size, type of hardware, even if it's no longer available. Get the info from the source.

These are pictures of a 1976 c20's 14 bolt full float. The question I am asking is the gasket that sits on the axle hub, that goes under the axle shaft. I shouldnt have to define these terms. The axle shaft looks like this:

The gasket that sits under the end of that against the hub. The hub is the part that bolts onto the axle housing that either gives you your backing plate , your drum brake, and your lug studs for your wheel and/or rotor/drum to be bolted on. For purposes of the different types of drum brakes, disc brakes, and all that jazz, it doesnt matter, because the axle shaft in all the axles being discussed have the same bolt pattern to retain and have the same size diameter, at least externally, but while there may be differences in some dimension or something they do the same job between all that will be mentioned.

So are we understanding terms here lol?

On the AAM vs corporate, this may just be because of the two distinct communities ive understood refer to the axles. When I say corporate 14 bolt, I do know that AAM split off from GM and still produced the same axle for GM, I was just under the understanding it had a significant change in like 2002. I could be wrong to that so I am open to be taught haha. I use AAM to refer to my 2005 2500hd 14 bolt rear end (with g80, 4.10, disc brakes with drum in hat parking brake). I use corporate to refer to my 1976 C20 14 bolt which is not in use as a truck axle but it is from one.

I know they are both 10.5 ring gears, and that they have a pinion support, and they to my knowledge can accept eachothers carriers/gears they are that similar? but i figured there would be metric hardware inside the 2005 or at least on the outside. maybe not?

not the best comparative pics, but theres the pumpkin cover.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

So heres the axle shaft bolts I was refering to, note the washers on the right side are only there because my aluminum cover was not thick enough to keep the bolts from bottoming out. The bolts are the OEM 1976 kind tho.

The metal gasket that one can buy for these (on the righht at least)

This part I am curious about, because the metal gasket i see as advertised till 1991. i dont see what about it would be different, which lead me to wonder if the bolts are the same size or if there is something different between the 1976(Presumably to 91) and the 2005 (which I think is 2002+)

Back on the topic of pumpkin cover, I want to know if they use the same covers/interchangeable, and if the same gasket would be used between them. I cant find a lot of this stuff in my googling, possibly because of the search terms I been using which may have been attributing my results at forums about dodge vs gm instead of old gm vs newer gm @454cid

edit: I didnt mean to sound snippy if I did I just guess I didnt see how there was any misunderstanding of terms but i think you may have been right that i am unknowingly using terms that may have caused everyone to get confused about what we were talking about, so apologies

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wild Guess with no evidence: Everything is the same. What isn't identical is functionally interchangeable. (Don't put SAE bolts into Metric holes. But I bet the holes are not metric.)

I bought the Fel-Pro axle gaskets 55350 to replace the crappy silicone sealer; I bought a differential cover and Fel-Pro 55063 cover gasket to replace the cover that had two rust holes in it. The replacement cover had four short "standoffs" on the bolt holes nearest the axle tubes. So it was entirely interchangeable except I needed four bolts that were a quarter-inch longer.

AAM is just a spin-off of GM, who then sells the product to GM and whoever else can be convinced to buy it..."Ram", for instance.
so you think the covers are proactively compatible from the older axles to the newer with a possible change in bolt length? If i read you right

I am hoping to use my 1976 cover on my 2005 because the 2005 is a crappy dorman which is rusty(as you can see) the 1976 cover appears to be in good shape just rusty on the outside, if its in good shape and not super bad on the flange perimeter, i was hoping to use it since I like the look more and it would be OEM and not dorman. I could then clean the dorman up and use it on the older axle which is a road use trailer but its just a low temperature fluid dam basically lol

glock20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
edit: edited for politeness

The diff cover gaskets are the same and likely the axle flange gaskets too.

Last edited: