14b 2wd 5 lug axle: How I did it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stormbringer

Reaction score
Hello folks,
First time post here. 1997 C1500 5.7L.
Axle swap was relatively trouble free. I replaced all bearings and installed Dutchman 454SS direct replacement axles. New backing plates and brakes. Drilled six lug drums to 5 bolt pattern. Used Moog 448 U joint. P-brake cables did not need to be changed.
Definitely a noticeable improvement in stopping power with the 11" brakes.
Let me know if you have any questions.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Hello folks,
Axle swap was relatively trouble free. I replaced all bearings and installed Dutchman 454SS direct replacement axles. New backing plates and brakes. Drilled six lug drums to 5 bolt pattern. Used Moog 448 U joint. P-brake cables did not need to be changed.
Definitely a noticeable improvement in stopping power with the 11" brakes.
Interesting.. so a light duty C2500 was your donor truck, and the 454SS axles were a direct fit? I guess that's not entirely surprising, but I didn't know it for fact.

When I converted my C2500LD to 5 lug I had a shop drill the axles and drums. They supposedly checked into axles with Moser and were told none were available. I don't think that's true now, but possibly was back in 2007 when I was building that truck.

Richard

Stormbringer

Reaction score
Yes the axles were a direct fit.

I'll have to go thru receipts to determine cost. I usually look the other way when doing projects like this!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Hello folks,
Axle swap was relatively trouble free...
...Definitely a noticeable improvement in stopping power with the 11" brakes.

What RPO code do you have for brakes, JB5? My truck ('89 K1500 RC/SB, J50) is in for that axle swap. I don't know if I've got JB3 or JB5 stuff up front, but I'm curious to know about that improvement of stopping power you mentioned. Do the brakes still feel balanced, or does it seem as if the rears are contributing more?

Stormbringer

Reaction score
Originally was a JB5. Now JB6. Since I've owned it I added the light duty 2500 front calipers and MC, and now the 11" rear brakes. Can definitely feel more rear brake action.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this slightly different 15 years ago. I used a 6 lug c2500 14 bolt semi floating rear end. I sent it's axle shafts to Moser for a fill and drill. I used the entire brakes from the 1500 10 bolt. If I remember correctly, I believe that I used the 10 bolt yoke on the 14 bolt pinion.