0rpm during cranking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philgoines

Reaction score
Hello, new here and needing help. Thanks in advance. This may be long but here it is.
1996 k1500 5.7, crank no start
Was running great then died
Engine has about 5k on it new parts with install. Distributor, coil, ignition control module, plugs, wires, cam, crank sensors, coolant temp sensor, injectors, fuel pump and filter.
What I have checked.
Voltage and ground to all pig tails on the truck. This is with key off. All are good except air idle control. It has no ground. Cam sensor has two wires that are grounded. Fuel psi is above 55 and holds. Compression is 195. I have spark and fuel. I checked tpm in live data during crank and see 0. I am needing a pin out to ecm to very that the wires are good from crank sensor to ecm. I can read data so I feel the ecm is good. No codes in the truck. I did verify timing, I can watch reluctantly wheel turn and chain also. All valves and rockers intact. I think I am on the right track. Any suggestions would help.

Philgoines

Reaction score
Hello, new here and needing help. Thanks in advance. This may be long but here it is.
1996 k1500 5.7, crank no start
Was running great then died
Engine has about 5k on it new parts with install. Distributor, coil, ignition control module, plugs, wires, cam, crank sensors, coolant temp sensor, injectors, fuel pump and filter.
What I have checked.
Voltage and ground to all pig tails on the truck. This is with key off. All are good except air idle control. It has no ground. Cam sensor has two wires that are grounded. Fuel psi is above 55 and holds. Compression is 195. I have spark and fuel. I checked tpm in live data during crank and see 0. I am needing a pin out to ecm to very that the wires are good from crank sensor to ecm. I can read data so I feel the ecm is good. No codes in the truck. I did verify timing, I can watch reluctantly wheel turn and chain also. All valves and rockers intact. I think I am on the right track. Any suggestions would help.
Sorry about the auto correct.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All are good except air idle control. It has no ground.
Looks like it maybe isn't supposed to...
the 96 manual is in the manual sticky somewhere......
page 574 in your manual begins "no start" troubleshooting for your truck...

Would be nice to have the rogue manuals put in their place in the sticky thread. I'd upload the 96 manual here but it's too big for our uploads

found the page

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you replaced engine and had about 5k on it and it died while driving and now you have no start but have fuel pressure and spark when tested with spark tester for hei ? And you also have scan data ? But no rpm while cranking on scan data ? Have you inspected electrical connectors for being latched /connected at sensors/components and no pinched wires from install ? Service manual information can be downloaded from sticky thread above , it is titled 88-98service manuals. My way of thinking but if you had 5k on it sounds like loose(not latched) connector, I would think you would have to have rpm signal to have spark . Look at manuals and if help needed ask questions, someone on forum will assist you. Best of luck

Philgoines

Reaction score
So you replaced engine and had about 5k on it and it died while driving and now you have no start but have fuel pressure and spark when tested with spark tester for hei ? And you also have scan data ? But no rpm while cranking on scan data ? Have you inspected electrical connectors for being latched /connected at sensors/components and no pinched wires from install ? Service manual information can be downloaded from sticky thread above , it is titled 88-98service manuals. My way of thinking but if you had 5k on it sounds like loose(not latched) connector, I would think you would have to have rpm signal to have spark . Look at manuals and if help needed ask questions, someone on forum will assist you. Best of luck
Yes all that is correct and I have checked all connections. I agree with the thought of no spark if not reading rpm. Somehow I have spark as seen with tester. I do have other data. Tps, maf, o2 etc. No rpm and no cam retard. I am going to test wires from sensor to ecm for continuity today. I will figure out how to download the manual today as well.

Philgoines

Reaction score
Update. I have good continuity from crank sensor to ecm connector. I found camshaft signal low wire has no continuity to ecm connector. I will check the wires and update once repaired.