Starter wire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98tahoe4dr

Reaction score
So I apologize if it's already been discussed I did try to search but couldn't find the answer I need..

So here is the info

1998 Chevy tahoe 4 door 4x4
Replaced:
Ignition switch(has the pig tail to the black box)
Starter
Starter relay(multiple times)
Ignition 1 40 amp fuse(multiple times)
I put a 50 in there and popped the 50 too
Neutral safety switch

My question. Where does the little wire on the starter come from(I'm color blind so don't say purple) I feel like that wire is the cause of my issue... I am open to any input as to possible causes but I am tired of buying fuses and having to jump my Starter with a screwdriver

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One way, is what does that fuse power? What items could be shorted. Does the fuse blow when you move the key to start?
Have just been replacing parts, or done any diagnostic?
It's a very risky idea installing higher amp fuses, like Russian roulette.

98tahoe4dr

Reaction score
One way, is what does that fuse power? What items could be shorted. Does the fuse blow when you move the key to start?
Have just been replacing parts, or done any diagnostic?
It's a very risky idea installing higher amp fuses, like Russian roulette.
As far as I see it goes to ignition switch which goes to the neutral safety then to the starter.. I just need to know which one goes to the starter

Attachments

• kroud_co.jpeg
    kroud_co.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 23

98tahoe4dr

Reaction score
Also my connector has 2 purple wires according to my wife she said ones solid purple the other is purple and white

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should just have the one purple wire, here’s the diagram. The 98 manual can be downloaded here:

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kroud_co-jpeg.373274

NOT a correct schematic. I don't know where you got this, but stop looking to them for service information.

What East302 posted is much more likely to be correct.

98tahoe4dr

Reaction score
It should just have the one purple wire, here’s the diagram. The 98 manual can be downloaded here:

So I need to pull up the fuse box and find the purple one under there and run it to the starter?

98tahoe4dr

Reaction score
This is the plug from the neutral safety switch(i replaced the plug). As you see there's a purple and a purple and white

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s the connector C1 view for a 98 (as is the diagram). Purple is the feed from the fuse (circuit 806) and purple/white (1035) is to the relay. The wiring diagram looks to be showing the wrong color for 1035.

Does the Ignition (40A) fuse pop as soon as you put it in or just when you turn the key?

The relay grounds at G105 by the crank sensor.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the fuse blowing start before or after you worked on it?
It's not two purple wires. It's a solid purple. The other is purple, green, blue, any color with white, black , any stripe is a different wire/ circuit.
Use the actual GM wire diagram. Haynes, Chilton others are incomplete or too generic.