Reverse Level 1996 GMC sierra INFO NEEDED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cagee2000

Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of getting 2in drop shackles for my 1996 GMC sierra Z71. My idea is to drop the rear a hair then turn up the keys to be level NO SQUAT. I'm thinking that if I do it this way it will be cheaper, I wont sacrifice as much ride quality and wont have as much stress on the front end geometry. In the near future I would like to run 285/75/16s If I were to adjust torsion keys would i have the clearance to run 285s? At the moment the torsion keys have backed all the way down I have a terrible amount of rake looks horrible! Has anyone attempted this method? or am I onto a stupid idea. Thanks!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

The reverse level isn’t a bad option. It’s certainly better than maxing your keys out to obtain the same leveled look. This alone would be entirely doable.

However if you want to run 285s up front you would more than likely need to crank the keys to be able do comfortably clear that tire size. Some members say they don’t have to adjust the keys at all, and others say you must to clear that tire size.

If you do some searching you’ll see a variety of comments on this topic. It used to get asked more often.

cagee2000

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

The reverse level isn’t a bad option. It’s certainly better than maxing your keys out to obtain the same leveled look. This alone would be entirely doable.

However if you want to run 285s up front you would more than likely need to crank the keys to be able do comfortably clear that tire size. Some members say they don’t have to adjust the keys at all, and others say you must to clear that tire size.

If you do some searching you’ll see a variety of comments on this topic. It used to get asked more often.
Thanks!