L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who are my spark plug reading experts for a 2nd opinon? Plug looks like it is possibly too hot to me for this combination or maybe 34* is a smidge too much timing. Unless I am missing it, I do not see a heat line on any of those ground electrodes. R44LTS6 plugs currently, stock heat range for a L31. Cylinders 1-3-5-7, left to right. 1 and 5 look like they may be getting a small amount of oil on them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pistons, chambers and exhaust valves look like a nice, clean complete burn.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,those 44's may be a little too hot for 10.25
Personally I like to start off with colder plugs and only increase heat range if deposits start to build up. Try a set of 42's.
If you're not getting any knock counts don't castrate the timing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah,those 44's may be a little too hot for 10.25
Personally I like to start off with colder plugs and only increase heat range if deposits start to build up. Try a set of 42's.
If you're not getting any knock counts don't castrate the timing.
No knock sensor

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And you're not hearing any knock?
None at all and I have driven it with the engine cover off. Not seeing any signs of detonation on the pistons or plugs either. Porcelins are clean, no aluminum speckle. 16* inital and 34* total at just under 200 psi cranking compression on 93 octane.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None at all and I have driven it with the engine cover off. Not seeing any signs of detonation on the pistons or plugs either. Porcelins are clean, no aluminum speckle. 16* inital and 34* total at just under 200 psi cranking compression on 93 octane.
I say drop a couple heat ranges just for insurance and run it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Who are my spark plug reading experts for a 2nd opinon? Plug looks like it is possibly too hot to me for this combination or maybe 34* is a smidge too much timing. Unless I am missing it, I do not see a heat line on any of those ground electrodes. R44LTS6 plugs currently, stock heat range for a L31. Cylinders 1-3-5-7, left to right. 1 and 5 look like they may be getting a small amount of oil on them.

Hard to really see where the color change is on the ground strap, should be midway. Too close to the electrode and you're cold, too close to the base and you're hot.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I grabbed a set of TR5s and just put them in, should be easier to read next time around too. The nickel color base should also make it easier to see the carbon line on the threads.

I think the heat line on atleast 5 & 7 may be where I marked it but really not well defined compared to some other setups I havd tuned.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But personally, I like to see the heat line more here. I like seeing the heat line prior to the bend.