Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick plywood opinion. MDF isn’t a bad choice imo, but birch plywood reflects sound better. And the best birch plywood is Baltic Birch. Many more veneer’s and is the most stable.
You must be registered for see images attach
Ya the Baltic birch is awesome. Used it for a nice cabinet project in a refinery control room years ago.
Nice using a router for dados, rabbits, grooves and rounding the edges and them not blowing chunks out.
But Shell had a lot bigger budget than I do!! Lol
I'm scared to even look at what that goes for ip here. The real stuff, not cabinet birch.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya the Baltic birch is awesome. Used it for a nice cabinet project in a refinery control room years ago.
Nice using a router for dados, rabbits, grooves and rounding the edges and them not blowing chunks out.
But Shell had a lot bigger budget than I do!! Lol
I'm scared to even look at what that goes for ip here. The real stuff, not cabinet birch.
Yes, there’s no voids in it. All the really high end speaker cabs in the music industry use Baltic Birch.
We used it all the time in wood shops I’ve worked in. Came 5’x5’.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, there’s no voids in it. All the really high end speaker cabs in the music industry use Baltic Birch.
We used it all the time in wood shops I’ve worked in. Came 5’x5’.

$150 a sheet, and I'd need two. I'm grumbling about $75 a sheet for MDF. I'd cry pressing the buttons on the debit card machine!!!! Lol

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

$150 a sheet, and I'd need two. I'm grumbling about $75 a sheet for MDF. I'd cry pressing the buttons on the debit card machine!!!! Lol
Oh, I hear ya, and again, MDF isn’t a bad choice. I just love Baltic Birch. Also, regular “Birch” plywood uses different types of wood internally for its veneers, while Baltic uses all birch for its veneers.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, I hear ya, and again, MDF isn’t a bad choice. I just love Baltic Birch. Also, regular “Birch” plywood uses different types of wood internally for its veneers, while Baltic uses all birch for its veneers.
Ya, the quality of plywood has taken such a dive in the last decade it's not even funny.
Most big companies use D grade up here for general kind of projects on sites. Boxes, fillers, lath, block outs etc. And use form-ply for the forms if they aren't using some kind of system like Doka.
Anyway, last project (multi billion dollar powered plant expansion) I was a GF on, the D grade was so bad, even ripping some of the sheets in half they would delaminate and be completely useless. And this stuff was close to $100 a sheet post COVID pricing.
Had multiple incidents where they were ripping sheets into 1 1/2" lath for attaching tarps for hoardings. And the strips would explode on the table saw. Luckily no one was injured but the potential was there. The superintendent got pi$$ed and just started ordering lifts of paper faced form-ply for general use. Swung a deal with the supplier to get it cheaper than D grade because we were buying it by the truckload. Literally signing for 100k worth at a time!! Lol

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah Home Depot birch ply used to be about $25 a sheet, now it’s $85. And it was always garbage.
Seems to be the way the world is trending....sadly.
More money for less quality.
About the only thing I've noticed is stuff like TV's and such, where you get more for less money than a decade ago.
Like the deck and speakers I just grabbed were sub $300. The deck it replaced was over $300 20 yrs ago! Ya, I'm sure it won't be as robust as the old Clarion, but hard to beat the pricing of some of the car audio stuff now says, especially the class D amps. Crazy what you can get for not that much $$$.