Dash Repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be complete BS, but who knows, might be a fix for someone.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
:hat:

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey if it works, is it really a dumb idea? Seems like the same concept as fiberglass cloth and resin, except miniature scale. I would be concerned about durability in regards to flexibility, as most cyanoacrylates I have used are strong but brittle.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
…yeah, but they don’t allow for some healthy pleasures in life. Just ask your doctor.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Here's my experience with cyanoacrylate glues on model cars: they're good at bonding...as long as there's absolutely no shear on the joint. It'll pop loose immediately if there's any shear pressure on it. Model kits are made of polystyrene, which can be melted with standard model glues, making a welded joint. Other plastics like acrylic won't melt with this glue so they have to be attached with CA glue.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my experience with cyanoacrylate glues on model cars: they're good at bonding...as long as there's absolutely no shear on the joint. It'll pop loose immediately if there's any shear pressure on it. Model kits are made of polystyrene, which can be melted with standard model glues, making a welded joint. Other plastics like acrylic won't melt with this glue so they have to be attached with CA glue.
Yeah, don’t know if this would help. I’ve never tried it, maybe someone with nothing else to lose may.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I've done a fair bit of scratch building on models, and I learned when using the dissimilar plastics that every joint had to be pinned or otherwise reinforced. Double especially if you ever handle the model much. Even if you transport your models in a heavy duty setup akin to a musician's road case, damage can still occur. Our local model car club just had our annual show and contest this past weekend, and I saw some fixing being done as models were prepared for display. Been on enough road trips to our of town contests, that I've done that myself or helped the guys I was traveling with. One of our late members built beautifully detailed semi truck models; every show he went to, something came unattached!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baking soda works much better than trying to harvest cigarette ash. The camera mount I use in my shop broke, and I put superglue on it, shook a little baking soda into it and repeated until it was fixed. It's a much stronger bond than just superglue. I don't know if it's epoxy strong, but it's probably close.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Baking soda works much better than trying to harvest cigarette ash. The camera mount I use in my shop broke, and I put superglue on it, shook a little baking soda into it and repeated until it was fixed. It's a much stronger bond than just superglue. I don't know if it's epoxy strong, but it's probably close.
That's a trick I've heard a lot of modelers talk about, never tried it myself.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the method I posted is geared more toward smokers. ;) :hat: Cigarette ash/baking soda = both ash.

Last edited: