brake lite problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragz64

Reaction score
hopefully some can help me out with this one....I have a 1995 gmc 1500 short bed...with the key off I can push brake pedal and I have brke lites....turn key on and the brake lites come on and when I push the pedal they go off...I have replaced the brake switch, multi function switch and the ignition switch and it still does the same thing...I have had the dash apart and can not find any cut, spliced and bad wiring...I have checked and cleaned all grounds....any ideas on what the problem can be ?....thanks !

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wiring gremlins can be a nightmare, sounds like you have a hot wire grounding out somewhere. I would turn ignition on so brake lights come on then start separating wires to see if you can get them to turn off. Definitely a 2 person job, one has to stare at the lights. Put a small battery charger on it while you work, could take a while.

ragz64

Reaction score
I found the problem....for some unknown reason the ground wire that runs from the cab(under the a/c drier) to the back of the rite cylinder head was run between the head and the wire loom holder, appearing to be tite when I pulled/wiggled it...apon further inspection and frustration chasing this problem I reached behind the head and low and behold the wire was loose and bolt was about to fall out of head, I took bolt out cleaned around bolt hole in head, reinstalled ground wire and bolt, titened it down and all problems went away...felt like an idiot ! some one probably did a valve job or replace head or engine at one time and missed titening it...probably why truck got impounded cause the brakes/turns didn't work properly...and nothing else so he never came and got it...so I bought it for $325.00 from my then boss and have bout $650.00 in it and it looks like it lmao...but it runs good...thanks for all the help guys !