90 k1500 5.7L code 13

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy

Reaction score
Hello, ever since I bought the truck the ses light will come on once the engine is up to temp. I checked for codes and all I got was 12 and 13. I know 12 is supposed to show up. Code 13: Left bank O2 sensor circuit open or no activity. I replaced the stock o2 with a 3 wire heated o2. Wired to a a relay to turn on with the key. Drove it around the next few days and I'm still getting the code 13. What should I check next? I have verified that the heater works but turning the key on for about 5 min. It was pretty warm.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possible break/damaged wire from the O2 sensor connector to the computer. I would trace the wires the best you can and check the places where obvious damage could occur.

If you have a multimeter you can ohm out the circuit to verify any open/high resistance.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

andy

Reaction score
It'll probably be easier to just replace the wire. Lol. Would standard 14ga wire work? It's the smallest I have at the moment

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd match the wire the best you can if your going to run a new one. Nothing wrong with that approach tho.

andy

Reaction score
I guess the stock wire is about 18ga. What about the pin in the pcm? Run the new wire to about 4-5" then cut and connect the new wire? I have several pins from my old 411 pcm. Not sure if they'll work

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I would do. I'd assume the pin and a X number of inches of pig tail sticking out is fine and in good order to just wire into. Sure there isn't any spot where the factory wire broke that you can easily see? Nothing against running a new wire.

andy

Reaction score
I can only see about 2" of the wire before it disappears in the stock wire loom. If I had the time to search for it I would but running a new wire is faster and easier right now. And I'd rather have brand new wire vs 24+ year old wire. And I live in the north so I know the cold isn't helping the wires any.

andy

Reaction score
I replaced the wire from the sensor to the ecm and I'm still getting the code. Not sure what else to check

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm.. Let me do a little research. The original o2 was a single wire o2 sensor correct? Do you have or have access to a multimeter?

andy

Reaction score
Yes, the stock on is a single wire. I replaced with the Bosch 3 wire and ran a new wire to the ecm behind the glove box. I found an exhaust leak where the manifold connects to the pipe. But when I went to remove the 3 bolts one broke off inside the manifold. I tried to drill and extract the bolt but my extractor broke, and I hit it with liquid wrench and heat. One got all twisted and is pretty much stuck in there and the other completely removed. So looks like a new manifold is the best option now.