4L60e sounds like a noisy powerglide, but only in gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfcg30518

Reaction score
This trans was built and installed in my kids 96 C1500 maybe 6mo ago by a local trans shop. Just recently it started making noise and sounds like an old Powerglide trans when in gear. Park and neutral are dead quiet. Drive and reverse makes noise. Seems to go away after driving a few miles and warming up.
Im pretty sure its still under warranty with the trans guy... but obviously I need to run it down there for him to look at. We paid around $2300 for the whole job.

Any ideas so I know what to expect ?

Im new in the area and dont have any local "connections" that I trust yet. Ive built transmissions in the past... (20+ years ago) but those were Powerglides, TH350's and TH400's. Never had anything newer apart.

I need to get this thing squared away before swapping in a new engine... which im sure would be used as an excuse to void the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This trans was built and installed in my kids 96 C1500 maybe 6mo ago by a local trans shop. Just recently it started making noise and sounds like an old Powerglide trans when in gear. Park and neutral are dead quiet. Drive and reverse makes noise. Seems to go away after driving a few miles and warming up.
Im pretty sure its still under warranty with the trans guy... but obviously I need to run it down there for him to look at. We paid around $2300 for the whole job.

Any ideas so I know what to expect ?

Im new in the area and dont have any local "connections" that I trust yet. Ive built transmissions in the past... (20+ years ago) but those were Powerglides, TH350's and TH400's. Never had anything newer apart.

I need to get this thing squared away before swapping in a new engine... which im sure would be used as an excuse to void the warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Noise as described can be worn pinion gears/needle bearings in the front and/or rear planetary carrier assemblies. I'd just take it out and back to him once you/he have had a chance to line it up. If it's under warranty, the only questions he should be asking you are to provide details of the drivability symptoms so he can begin to orient towards fixing the problem.