1995 5.7 tbi hard shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 95 5.7 that just had the service engine soon light come on and it started shifting a little harsh. Any idea what could be causing this?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 95 5.7 that just had the service engine soon light come on and it started shifting a little harsh. Any idea what could be causing this?
Ok so what upshifts are harsh? All of them or just 1-2 or just 2-3 or just 3-4 or some combination of those? Also, what transmission? 4L60E or 4L80E?

Scan the pcm for codes and post them when you reply back; in guessing you'll see a "component slipping" code which is usually valve body but just a guess until if/when you provide more information.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on my way to work. And it just started randomly right before I pulled in to the parking lot. It seemed to be just the Lower gears shifting up only.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on my way to work. And it just started randomly right before I pulled in to the parking lot. It seemed to be just the Lower gears shifting up only.
Please Quote my post like this if you'd like me to respond as i dont get alerts and just happened to see a new reply here.

Scan the PCM and post the code(s) stored. Harsh 1-2 shift, which is what it sounds like you're describing, is usually valve body (tcc regulator valve) or broken accumulator piston spring in the 1-2 acc housing.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I believe so, I didn't fully stop at the light. Because it was green still. I just slowed down to around 10 mph and accelerated. That's when it shifted really hard. However beforehand I noticed the light on. Which wasn't on last night. Although the whole entire way to work. It shifted like it aways has since I've had. Just suddle shifting. So when it shifted hard enough to jerk the truck, it stood out.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I drove the truck home. It didn't jerk like it did at all. Now I will say the shifts between 1st, 2nd and third are firm, not harsh though. And the service engine light was not on when I cranked the truck back up oddly enough. However I'm going to oriellys anyway to get it scanned tomorrow. I don't have a odb1 scan tool yet.

Kylebg94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please Quote my post like this if you'd like me to respond as i dont get alerts and just happened to see a new reply here.

Scan the PCM and post the code(s) stored. Harsh 1-2 shift, which is what it sounds like you're describing, is usually valve body (tcc regulator valve) or broken accumulator piston spring in the 1-2 acc housing.
So I drove the truck home. It didn't jerk like it did at all. Now I will say the shifts between 1st, 2nd and third are firm, not harsh though. And the service engine light was not on when I cranked the truck back up oddly enough. I ran the truck kind of hard from a stop twice to see how the trans shifted. I reved it to around 3k rpm. While the shifts were still tiny bit firm. Particularly from 1st to 3rd. They were not slamming you in your seat. That's about how hard it shifted earlier today.
I'm going to oriellys anyway to get it scanned tomorrow. because I don't have a odb1 scan tool yet. Now I've had some other issues with the truck. That could be related, but I doubt it. First one, that I haven't figured out yet, Iwas driving... And then the truck just shut off like you turned the ignition off. It did this back to back three times in a row. But it has not done it since. There were no warning signs. It was so suddle that you didn't even notice, until your trying to give it gas. Next thing that is strange. I had the truck idling. And it bogged down like it was going to turn off on 3 occasions. Once while helping jump off another vehicle. Also the idle is kind of rough. Other than that, I know it has a bad u joint on the main driveshaft.

Last edited: