Where do you buy bulk wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was working on my Jag today, and I made a lot of progress on finishing up the wiring. However, I ran out of five different colors of wire.

Typically I buy my bulk wire from www.4rcustomswire.com because they sell hobbyist lengths of striped wire. Unfortunately, they specialize in Harley wiring, so it's all small gauge stuff. The biggest wire they stock is 12 gauge.

Today I ran short on:
18 gauge green with a red strip for my fuel level gauge
18 gauge yellow with an orange stripe for my running lights
18 gauge black for ground circuits
12 gauge yellow for my headlights
...so I placed an order for 25' of each from them to replenish my wire stock. That ran about $61, which is pretty cheap for a less-than-wholesale amount of good wire.

But I also realized I haven't yet run the wiring from my battery disconnect to the main power distribution. I have 2 gauge running to the starter, but no power to the fuse panel. I need 8 gauge for that. 4rcustoms doesn't sell 8 gauge. Typically I get all my large gauge wire from BMWs at Pull-A-Part, but they tend to have 2 and 4 gauge, and not 8 gauge. I looked back in my Amazon history and found where I ordered 8 gauge last time, and it's $20 for 10'. It also turned out to be RC car wiring, and not really automotive grade. I found some InstallGear "car audio" grade 8 gauge this time, 25' for $27; we'll see how it turns out.

Do any of you have a good site for larger gauge wire? Does anybody have a good source for both larger wire and smaller, striped wire?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. https://www.prowireusa.com
2. eBay seller eficonversions (also sells on Amazon)
3. https://acdcwire.com

I have purchased the majority of my wiring from prowireusa but sometimes from the other two if prowireusa is out of stock for a specific color/gauge wire.

For striped wire, I find that EFI Connection has wire with a vertical stripe, while a lot of the other vendors have a diagonal stripe (like a candy cane). Since I like to keep things looking OEM, whenever I needed striped wire, I usually bought it from EFI Connection. I wish I knew who EFI Connection's source for the striped wire is.

Last edited: