Wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So it's been a while since I've had to by wheel bearings. Took my 99 to have tires and they had a list of things that they though where issues and I know there was going to be things they would find then i could laying on my back. I trust the shop and am having them take care of a few things I don't want to deal with. One thing they said it needs is front wheel bearings. The short amount that I messed with them I didn't see any issues and am going to have another look when I get it back. Any way who is the go to manufacturer for bearings. I know Timken used to be good but I've heard they are going to china made. Who else is out there that has decent bearings?

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some play in them.

Recently bought Timken to do my rear hubs, when I have it apart. Didn't look at the origin, about like the bearings when I re-geared. To me, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze to track down whats supposed to be the best, and then pay out the nose for it. China builds to the specs they are given.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some play in them.

Recently bought Timken to do my rear hubs, when I have it apart. Didn't look at the origin, about like the bearings when I re-geared. To me, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze to track down whats supposed to be the best, and then pay out the nose for it. China builds to the specs they are given.
I agree with the play and sitting immoblie for 10 years probably didn't help them any. I know they build them to spec but its what the quality of the material. Given enough time I could build something to spec but it might not last as long. Just think about the term Mil-spec. Yeah it meets spec but its made my the lowest bidder. Just because it meets spec doesn't mean its the best out there. That's what I think when I get something from china.

H2814D

Reaction score
In my 1994 K1500 4X4 Blazer, the front "bearings" are actually the entire hub assembly and not just bearings, unless the bearings are removable from the entire assembly. I didn't do just the bearings. I replaced the entire assembly. I got mine from Detroit Axle and have had good luck with them so far. They were installed by me four years ago. A job that you can actually do yourself. Not that difficult. You will need the proper hub nut socket though.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In my 1994 K1500 4X4 Blazer, the front "bearings" are actually the entire hub assembly and not just bearings, unless the bearings are removable from the entire assembly. I didn't do just the bearings. I replaced the entire assembly. I got mine from Detroit Axle and have had good luck with them so far. They were installed by me four years ago. A job that you can actually do yourself. Not that difficult. You will need the proper hub nut socket though.
The axle stub nut socket size is 36mm IIRC. It is the entire hub assembly with ABS sensors.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with the play and sitting immoblie for 10 years probably didn't help them any. I know they build them to spec but its what the quality of the material. Given enough time I could build something to spec but it might not last as long. Just think about the term Mil-spec. Yeah it meets spec but its made my the lowest bidder. Just because it meets spec doesn't mean its the best out there. That's what I think when I get something from china.
Spec includes materials.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it is the entire hub. I forgot to mention it's 4x4. The half tons are much easier to deal with then the 8 lug trucks. Why gm decided to design them the way they did is beyond me. Its a stupid way to do it and the dually has extra stuff to take off. Once I get it back I'll know more. The shop had to order the parts I'm having them do and I told them no big rush on it. I'm hoping I'll have it back tomorrow.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What is the shop doing that you can't?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the shop doing that you can't?
I'm having them do the carrier bearing u joints and the lift pump. The pump decided to blow its guts out in their parking lot overnight. I'm not going to drive it with it spewing fuel every where or else I'd do it myself. I have the knowledge to do the bearing and u joint but reason I'm having them do them is that I can't lay on my back. I have several bulged disks and laying on my back is a no go position. If I lay on it for a extended amount of time(like 5 or more minutes) It goes into spasm mode and feels like my spine is getting ripped out. If I had a hoist or a pit I would do them myself but I don't have that option.