wanting to buy a quality 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoyBob

Reaction score
Good Morning all Oldguy Here with more questions So My engine will be done in a week or so 400 425 Hp Give or take .. just takes $$$$
Any way The 700r4 In my truck now is a good trans 30 spline works great How ever I want to buy a Built Quality Trans with all the Performance upgrades ! I will want to keep the lock up , I have my Converter Its new Hughes 2500 stall 30 spline with lock up ( i have used this before they work great) I want my trans to Auto shift when in drive and i will retain my lock up but i want a firm 1-2nd shift You know what i mean !!! Chirp ...
so what company would you guys use ??? Looked at monster / TCI/ and how ever builds the ones for summit and speedway

i will not be drag racing but will Hammer at times (why not) this will most likely be my last build for Us so i want good quality Thanks Every one !
Note I bought from GlobalTransmission Parts the 700-2&3 Kit and New Separator Plate and check ball set If some one wants a deal Just asking All Transgo Parts paid $123.40 I can ship it to You ?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Morning all Oldguy Here with more questions So My engine will be done in a week or so 400 425 Hp Give or take .. just takes $$$$
Any way The 700r4 In my truck now is a good trans 30 spline works great How ever I want to buy a Built Quality Trans with all the Performance upgrades ! I will want to keep the lock up , I have my Converter Its new Hughes 2500 stall 30 spline with lock up ( i have used this before they work great) I want my trans to Auto shift when in drive and i will retain my lock up but i want a firm 1-2nd shift You know what i mean !!! Chirp ...
so what company would you guys use ??? Looked at monster / TCI/ and how ever builds the ones for summit and speedway

i will not be drag racing but will Hammer at times (why not) this will most likely be my last build for Us so i want good quality Thanks Every one !
Note I bought from GlobalTransmission Parts the 700-2&3 Kit and New Separator Plate and check ball set If some one wants a deal Just asking All Transgo Parts paid $123.40 I can ship it to You ?
Monster - Hell No!

Call around to local builders well versed in the 700R4. I set up 700R4s with your usage profile and engine power all the time, it's not difficult. See if the shop will use the parts you bought so you dont have to resell them.

Check out my 700R4 information thread for details on these units

Last edited:

RoyBob

Reaction score
Monster - Hell No!

Call around to local builders well versed in the 700R4. I set up 700R4s with your usage profile and engine power all the time, it's not difficult. See if the shop will use the parts you bought so you dont have to resell them.

Check out my 700R4 information thread for details on these units
Good Morning I did Find a Person Local and well Known ! sent the parts back as he does his on kits, we belong to the we are members of the Antique automible owners of America Here in Alabama and one of our members Gave us a name ... Thanks Again !

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Morning I did Find a Person Local and well Known ! sent the parts back as he does his on kits, we belong to the we are members of the Antique automobile owners of America Here in Alabama and one of our members Gave us a name ... Thanks Again !
Sounds good man, you're welcome...700R4s can be built to handle 425 HP no problem. So if the builder knows what he's doing, he will make it work for you...Main areas that need to be beefed up are:

- Valve body (TV valve, sleeve and plunger - Sonnax and Transgo both make parts for this plus DYI shift calibration mods that most of us w/time on these units do)
- Servo (Corvette or Sonnax / Superior Tech) + wide band (Alto Red is great)
- 3-4 clutch (Alto Power Pack w/HE or Alto Red frictions+kolene steels, Sonnax HP pressure, backing plate set)
- Pump (.500 boost/.300 rev boost, unbreakable pump rings, castings machined to allow for .001-.0015 rotor/slide to deck clearance)
- Sonnax Smart shell along with 03+ 4L60E reaction shaft to rollerize everything in the mid-case
- Sonnax bushings (teflon pump body bushing in the pump and rear reverse input drum and Sonnax teflon rear stator bushing and wide bushing for the rear sun gear).
- Countersink lube passages in output shaft
- Lube mods to sun gears
- 4L60E TCC converter check ball capsule in input shaft snout (700R4's is more restrictive)

Only the Sonnax Smart Tech Shell and Alto Power Pack are over $100.00; the rest of the parts are $30 or less individually.

All that should run about $2200-$2500 and be fine in a daily driving to street strip type application.