Vehicle help / suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Shurkey has a very valid point on directional stability. I have a full detroit locker in the back of my K3500 Dually. I rarely drive it in snow/ice weather unless I want to have fun. In snow and ice, it has 4-wheel steering. I can pitch a ECLB dually sideways on a straight road and hold it sideways through town just because of the angle of the road for rainwater runoff.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I agree
But
When a 2wd goes for around 5000 and the 4x4 goes for 9500
Makes you start to think
I get this. Truly I do. The issue i am raising is not $5k vs $9.5k, it's $9.5k vs $14.5k if you buy the 2WD and then realize that it's inadequate for your needs. And that assumes you have put zero additional dollars into repairs and upgrades. For example, swapping the open rear diff for an LSD, in the hopes of improving traction.

My point really is this: since I don't know your driving environment or needs, if you've ever found yourself in a situation where you would have benefitted for a 4x4, save up for it, rather than buying something that would prove inadequate for your needs.

Last edited:

ejfraser72

Reaction score
I get this. Truly I do. The issue i am raising is not $5k vs $9.5k, it's $9.5k vs $14.5k if you buy the 2WD and then realize that it's inadequate for your needs. And that assumes you have put zero additional dollars into repairs and upgrades. For example, swapping the open rear diff for an LSD, in the hopes of improving traction.
Exactly

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had written something, but realized you live in Nova Scotia. Get another 4WD. If for nothing else, all parts/most are interchangeable.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
= That difference is directional stability on low-traction surfaces like ice/compacted snow. A locker/positraction on ice is going to be uncontrollable when both rear tires spin.

A locker/posi requires cautious throttle to keep the rear end from swinging around on ice.
I've plucked parts from Schurkey's post so that I can add that the above really becomes an issue when reversing uphill. If you routinely have to do that then a 2WD with a locker (G80 in mine) could be tricky. So far, in snow with AT tyres and an instinct to 'keep it moving' my C2500 Suburban has been fine through four Scottish winters.