Upper A-Arm Mount....Rotted :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your a top notch welder fabricator. Make a jig , new mount sections, cutoff old, install replacements on jig, weld up. Ensure square a true before final welds. Paint, done.
Ensure frame mounts are sound, cancerous frame = reconsider options.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda one of those “if you have to ask, you probably don’t have the tools/skill”.
Also, if they rotted out, what’s the condition of the rest of frame? IDK obviously, just asking. There are certain things I’d mess with, definitely not that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I" would go to a Treasure Yard, and cut that bracket off of a non-rusted frame, (at least, not rusted in that area) as close to the frame rail as possible. A powered hacksaw, or a die grinder/cutoff wheel would make the job go faster. Once I had a replacement piece in hand, I'd cut the rusted bracket off MY vehicle, and weld the replacement on in the same place.

Of course, care must be taken to get the "new" piece installed in exactly the same place, at exactly the same height, and so forth. Rebuild the entire front suspension/steering, and pay for a professional alignment afterwards.

If my frame had multiple rusted areas (structural rust, not surface rust) it might be easier/safer/better to replace the entire frame.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still wouldn’t attempt, mostly because my only welding experience is from metal shop in High School. But, if I could weld, to get those brackets in the correct spots, I’d probably make some location templates using your originals if possible, clamping a block to frame so template could be removed and cut cancer out. Clamped block would still be there to give the template original orientation. Tack brackets in. Then remove templates and complete my butchery with weld. :weld:

Laredo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine the upper control arm mounts are rotted, but other areas of the frame are not also structurally compromised by rust. Sounds like it may be time to perform a frame swap or permanently retire the truck (e.g., part it out, make it a yard fixture, etc.).

Reaction score
The rest of the truck is mint minus the cab corners. and a few areas of chipped paint on the wheel wells of the truck bed. Thank you for the suggestions. Except the people that said turn it into a flowerpot!!