Unicorn lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The angular displacement of the torsion bar remains unchanged by the relocation imposed by the adapter.

I agree with this. The relocation bracket has essentially no effect on the function of the torsion bar, as the change in rotation from the slight angle change will be a rounding error at most.

interestingly, as the “twist” on the torsion bar remains unchanged through the LCA’s range of motion.

However, in this comment you seemed to be relating the torque applied by/to the torsion bar with the LCA vertical travel, which I do not agree with.

In other words, torsion bar twist being unchanged through range of motion, depends on exactly which range of motion you are referring to.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
It won’t change the rate any, interestingly, as the “twist” on the torsion bar remains unchanged through the LCA’s range of motion.

This might seem counterintuitive.

See “Moments Can be Placed Anywhere” on this webpage:
https://www.mem50212.com/MDME/MEMmods/MEM30005A/moments/Moments.html#:~:text=Moments Can be Placed Anywhere,always giving the same answer.
I think you took my post wrong. The whole rate comment was relating to using 04 bars, lol.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this. The relocation bracket has essentially no effect on the function of the torsion bar, as the change in rotation from the slight angle change will be a rounding error at most.

Roger that.

However, in this comment you seemed to be relating the torque applied by/to the torsion bar with the LCA vertical travel, which I do not agree with.

In other words, torsion bar twist being unchanged through range of motion, depends on exactly which range of motion you are referring to.

The angular displacement in the torsion bar remains the same in either case, equal to the angular displacement of the LCA about its mounting point to the frame. Perhaps I didn’t articulate that well earlier.

New topic…

NOW, if a “lift” is the objective, such that the angle φ of the LCA at rest is more negative than the un-lifted, at rest case, additional considerations must be made.

The same is true if a change of wheel offset is made.

Both alter the line of action of the weight of the vehicle on the LCA.

I intend to discuss neither case unless someone else does.

@rzr6-4, kudos on your original post, the detailed discussion and drawings are noteable, esp. the part about the ex-wife :waytogo: Not too many members would know how to get theta (Θ) to appear in the text of a post!

Last edited:

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree this is the best (coolest and most clearance) way if the budget allows, although I'd be mindful of what gears are in the truck before anyone does this. I had 3.42s in mine stock, and that transmission was working HARD with those 33's in the hilly area where I lived, constantly shifting between 3rd and 4th on the road. A lift would have made it even worse. 3.73 would probably be fine though.

That being said a lift eats into your highway mpgs a lot due to the wind resistance. I went from 16-ish mpg stock to 10 when I lifted mine. I went a full 6" with 37s and 4.88s though, I imagine 4" and 33s would be a bit more reasonable.

If you don't want to lift, you can clear a skinny 33 with just a mild crank and modest wheels. I had both 285/75/16 and 305/70/16 before the lift, and to be honest I gained nothing from going to the 305 except some extra weight for my truck to spin.

+1 to the tortion bar relocators. Mine have been on my truck for a few years and about 20-30k miles if I'm remembering correctly, no issues so far.
The only thing I've experienced with the relocators is the ride quality got a tiny bit stiffer in the front. Not a huge change like cranking the bars all the way up, but slightly less soft from the torsion bar drop. Even Rough Country who offer Torsion Bar Relocators for the 99-06 trucks stated the same thing happens. But you don't have a snow plow hanging under your truck, so its totally worth it. I've had mine on for 40k miles. No issues whatsoever.

When you lift the truck, you really need to adjust the shift points to match the tire size (assuming you have an automatic) It makes a world of difference. Even with 33" tires your truck will feel like a turd. I originally tuned by 98 Black Box ecm with Black Bear, which was a very nice upgrade, but I ended up swapping it out with the 0411 which is also tuned by Justin at Black Bear, which is one awesome upgrade!

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting adapters. They nicely move the bar up and out of sight.

They’ll cause that end of the torsion bar (control arm end) to travel in an arc that’s a tad different from stock, as the LCA travels through its range of motion.

Not saying it matters (and not saying it doesn’t), it’s just an observation.
You end up moving the torsion bar mount cross member back about an inch. Everything lines up the same way as stock. It does alter the ride quality a tiny bit, but its so minuscule that I doubt you would even notice. Throwing the lift on the truck makes it ride better than stock IMO. I bet companies like RC would have included a part like that with their lift kits, but ReaLift has a patent on it, so its the only option for our OBS Chevy trucks.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... ReaLift has a patent on it, so its the only option for our OBS Chevy trucks.

Their patent 6,767,021 Torsion-bar relocation device was filed Jul 18, 2001 and issued Jul 27, 2004. It should be no longer in force.

Attachments

• 6767021 Torsion-bar relocation device.pdf
    424.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s also a $ thing. I imagine making the relocation parts costs $200+ and yes they get a profit margin on top but it isn’t huge.