TV Cable Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats up guys I have a 1988 TBI 350 with a 700r4. I decided to just order a tbi spacer just to see if it really did anything as I know many people have had luck with carb spacers. My question is do I need to spacer up the tv/accel cable bracket upwards aswell to keep the same geometry, or can I just adjust the tv cable and the accelerator cable to be a little longer. Any help is appreciated!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My advice is to not bother with the TB spacer. When I was young and dumb I added a TB spacer to my TBI truck and I didn’t know anything about the TV cable at all. About 150 miles later I could feel no engine HP increase and my trans was toasted due to incorrect TV cable geometry and wrong tension. I’m sure you could modify the bracket and tension to make it work but is it worth the risk and hassle for very little potential gain? I ended up removing the spacer, having the trans rebuilt and never had an issue after that.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats up guys I have a 1988 TBI 350 with a 700r4. I decided to just order a tbi spacer just to see if it really did anything as I know many people have had luck with carb spacers. My question is do I need to spacer up the tv/accel cable bracket upwards aswell to keep the same geometry, or can I just adjust the tv cable and the accelerator cable to be a little longer. Any help is appreciated!
Right or wrong, I put a spacer on my 91, back in 2000ish. All I did was unbolt the throttle body, put the spacer in and bolt it back down. I didn't touch the TV cable adjustment at all. It shifted perfectly fine for 3 years until it exploded from a poor choice to have the fluid changed at a shop that decided to power flush it instead.

But after I put the replacement one in years later, it still runs and shifts fine. I believe I adjusted it by doing the turn the throttle arm to full throttle. One day I will do a line pressure check, but most likely not as I should be swapping an LS and new transmission in this winter.

I don't see how raising it up and inch will affect it, the cable is attached to a bracket, it shouldn't matter, you are not adjusting the geometry of the bracket, just the hight of the cable.

As for performance gain, jury is out on that. As I did a K&N FIPK at the same time, as well as plugs, MSD wires and coil, and I believe the headers were within a day or so as well. But I would like to believe it added something if not, at least it sounds cooler. LOL