Trying to ls swap my Chevy C1500 1998 to a 6.0 gmc what will I need to change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busters

Reaction score
So I have the 305 current in my truck I found a gmc sierra that I can take the engine from can’t remember the year. But I will take transmission will I need to replace the drive shaft or can I use stock on my truck, and will I need to replace a lot of the lines from it? If anyone has done it I would like to know how they did it.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6L would probably be in a2500. Probably also a 4l80 compared to a 1500 4l60. The 4l80 is longer than the 4l60 and has a bigger spline on the output. Rear axel is semi float or full float 14 bolt instead of a 10 bolt. You need to measure a lot lol.

The way to do the swap is have 2 complete trucks. Rob everything you need from donar truck. When the swap is done and driving get rid of what you don't use.

To get it in you need swap mounts that adjust. I would put the matting point of engine and transmission in settee stock location.

You need a ac bracket kit to mount the ac compressor like the sbc high and left so you don't have to do a bunch of ac fab

Computer, harness,., pedal and module etc

A way to program the computer

What's wrong with the truck currently,? Does it run and drive? Is it modified? Do you have another vehicle

I like the 6.0L but I wouldn't swap one in place of a small block. I would 0411 swap the truck and learn how to tune it. Do exhaust etc. Swap in a 5.7 or build a 383. I would consider a 4l80 swap for strength and the better gear ratio.

I've got a hot lq9 out of a caddy with all the parts needed but I would put it in a toy that was light and not a daily driver. Maybe something that had a low mount ac compressor from the factory etc. My boy lives out west if he found me a gmt800 scsb with a 4.8 that was clean I would swap the 6L in because it would be simple. I like the ls motors but they don't make torque until they are wound up, especially if they are cammed. I prefer the sbc. I even like the 5.0L and use them. Just put one in my 23 Ford C cab. My current swaps are a tbi 5.7 replacing the same. A l29/nv4500 replacing tbi5.7/4l60 and 8.1L/4l80 replacing a carbed 350/th400. I like torque. The 8.1 will run circles around my lq9 if I stand on it but will pull a house off the foundation and is happy chugging along at 1100rpm. Torque at normal rpm is so much easier to drive every day. I'm not anti ls just my personal opinion