Truck not starting after driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hbomb

Reaction score
1998 K1500 Z71. Recently having issue where if trucks sit for a while it will crank up. After I drive a bit, turn off engine, go to start again and nothing. It won’t turn over or do anything.

Any ideas?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hot start issue like this, can be caused by many things. On my Burb a few years ago (99 L31 5.7, C1500) I ended up replacing the long positive battery cable that goes across the fan shroud and over to the computer. It's around 8' long; I had a guy at a battery shop build me a new one for under $15. My battery terminals are not "stock" so it just has a lug terminal on each end. I also dropped the starter and cleaned it up, it was greasy outside and dirty inside. The terminals on the solenoid were loose so I tightened them up, also cleaned and tightened the ground cable where it bolts to the front of the engine. Don't know which one was actually the problem, but fixing all of them, fixed the truck.
These trucks are VERY PICKY about having good grounds. So that, and all your electrical connections in the starting system, are the first things I would look at. Also, a battery that is beginning to go bad, will not produce the power to start a hot engine, because that requires a little more power than starting a cold one.
Good luck!

Hbomb

Reaction score
Hot start issue like this, can be caused by many things. On my Burb a few years ago (99 L31 5.7, C1500) I ended up replacing the long positive battery cable that goes across the fan shroud and over to the computer. It's around 8' long; I had a guy at a battery shop build me a new one for under $15. My battery terminals are not "stock" so it just has a lug terminal on each end. I also dropped the starter and cleaned it up, it was greasy outside and dirty inside. The terminals on the solenoid were loose so I tightened them up, also cleaned and tightened the ground cable where it bolts to the front of the engine. Don't know which one was actually the problem, but fixing all of them, fixed the truck.
These trucks are VERY PICKY about having good grounds. So that, and all your electrical connections in the starting system, are the first things I would look at. Also, a battery that is beginning to go bad, will not produce the power to start a hot engine, because that requires a little more power than starting a cold one.
Good luck!
Thanks for your reply.

I cleaned up any corrosion on the terminals and tightened everything up. Seemed to do the trick… for now at least!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I cleaned up any corrosion on the terminals and tightened everything up. Seemed to do the trick… for now at least!
One thing I have learned about, working on cars and trucks, is that many times, puzzling electrical issues are caused by simple things. It's just a matter of careful and diligent diagnosis.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1998 K1500 Z71. Recently having issue where if trucks sit for a while it will crank up. After I drive a bit, turn off engine, go to start again and nothing. It won’t turn over or do anything.
No cranking with a hot starter is usually--not always--a problem with low voltage on the purple wire connected to the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid. And THAT is usually due to corroded wire or loose/corroded connections somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter relay; or between the starter relay and the starter solenoid.

It's a completely different diagnostic issue from slow-cranking.

But you have this fixed at least for now.

JayG

Reaction score
Good luck!
You think 2 gallons of gas is enough for for it to start on up if last time I ran it , I ran it until it went dry?