Truck is dead, looking for suggestions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drove the truck yesterday, for multiple stops, with no issues at all. made it home and parked without any indication of issues.

This morning went to leave for work.

turn key to acc, dash lights up, A/C starts blowing, normal.

turn key to start, everything goes dead. no lights, no blower, cant even lock the doors.

I had to go so i jumped in the jeep and went, without having time to check anything, so hoping to get some insight as to what it could be.

past experience on other vehicles has been corroded or lose battery cables, but the last time i looked at these (last weekend) they were fine.

One other thing to note, occasionally, the (aftermarket) radio will half reset if the truck has sat for a few days. I think the voltage drops low on startup. I say half reset, because it retains my stations, but will lose other settings like time, and button color.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Very possible a bad battery. Prob has a bad cell and can’t carry the load.
And in my experience this can be a seemingly intermittent issue until it finally gives up. I've had more than one that you could jump it and it would crank the next several times apparently fine, then unexpectedly crap out again.

Fully charge the battery then load test it. A bad one should reveal itself then.

Also, cable connections on side post batteries can look OK but hide corrosion, especially if the cables still have the protective jacket over the terminal ends.

Richard

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your radio is dying, you either have a parasitic draw that's running your battery down enough not to start, or a battery on its way out. It shouldn't be dead in a few days off of just keeping the stereo alive.

A few years ago mine would draw down enough then come back to life enough to set the alarm off. Not a fun time when you are dead asleep and your bedroom is above the garage.

Turns out it was the battery.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the battery never dies, the radio just resets some of the settings occasionally. it would still start every time.

this time though, its dead dead. went from 100% normal looking, blower running, seatbelt buzzer on, to no power at all, no lights, no locks, nothing. its like the battery is disconnected right now.

I had the battery checked about 6 weeks ago but it turned out to be a bad starter, which i replaced with the upgraded NBS starter.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its like the battery is disconnected right now.
The wiring diagrams for your 89 are in the manuals section. May be some troubleshooting snippets in there once you get through the basic checks...

rzr6-4

Reaction score
I had the battery checked about 6 weeks ago but it turned out to be a bad starter, which i replaced with the upgraded NBS starter.
As said, check the connections, charge the battery, load test it. That way you've covered the two main suspects.

Load tests can give you false confidence that your battery is good.

With my old battery I had to jump start it any time I drive it. After driving around a bit I could always shut it off and restart it though no issues. I put a tester on and it showed more than enough CCA (which is all a tester is looking for) but after replacing the battery I haven't had an issue since. The drain was so bad that after a day it wouldn't start but after replacing it with one that wouldn't drain I was good to go.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe your "S" wire to the starter is bad or something to do with the ignition switch. When starting the engine, the ignition switch shuts off other accessories while cranking.