Transporting truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm muscle

Reaction score
Hello All,

So two years ago, I purchased a pristine condition truck bed for my '97 K1500 regular cab short box (fleetside). I currently have it out in the elements on my parents property, resting on junkyard tires. I'd like to make it easier to transport; rolling it around. I used a flatbed to haul it to my parents place. Eventually I will swap out truck beds. I have some ideas as to what to do but I'd like to find out what others have done.
Thanks

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this for almost a year with my truck box while I was juggling it and other projects. For moving it around the yard I welded some ~1 1/2" diameter steel tube onto the bottom of two bike stands and stuck some scaffold tires, (not casters) in the tubes. A few braces between the stands and I sat the box on top. If you don't have access to bike stands it's a bit more complicated; you'll have to make up a nice robust frame to transfer the weight down to the wheels. The reason I recommend tires instead of casters is the all-terrain capability. If the box stays on pavement, the casters will be fine.

For transporting the box from one location to another, assuming that both your new and old boxes are structurally sound in the stake pocket area, just put some stakes in and flip the new box upside down. The holes will line up and you should have no problem adding a few bolts, screws, straps etc. to hold the boxes together. I did this a few years ago, drove the new box two hours home like that. Didn't move an inch.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So two years ago, I purchased a pristine condition truck bed for my '97 K1500 regular cab short box (fleetside). I currently have it out in the elements on my parents property, resting on junkyard tires. I'd like to make it easier to transport; rolling it around. I used a flatbed to haul it to my parents place. Eventually I will swap out truck beds. I have some ideas as to what to do but I'd like to find out what others have done.
Thanks
I had the same challenge with two beds in the northeast. Like ^^^said depends on surface. I made a cradle with 2X8 and these cheap furniture movers Furniture Movers Dolly. Garage floor is brushed concrete. Small castors, but the purpose was to move it to the corner until I was ready paint and install. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck.

Attachments

• Truck Beds.JPG
    Truck Beds.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 7

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I built a roll around stand out of 2x4. Basically a perimeter frame with some crossbracing. Basically 2 wide sawhorses on it and 4 casters under it. It doesn't need to be brutal bulletproof. A bed with gate just isn't that much weight. I was able to climb in and out, paint prep/bodywork and such with no issues. I used it for a bunch of different things and it ended unscrewed and repurposed. Casters come in multiple flavors. Larger diameters roll easier. I was pretty much moving it on concrete or loading on a car trailer so cheapie HF casters got it done.

gm muscle

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I am going to move the bed to a storage unit that my wife and I have until the time is right to remove the old bed, clean up and chassis-black the frame and replace brake/fuel lines, etc. I'm also planning an LS swap (L92/4L80).
I want to make it easier to move around and not need so many people to help me move it.

I appreciate all of the responses.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I am going to move the bed to a storage unit that my wife and I have until the time is right to remove the old bed, clean up and chassis-black the frame and replace brake/fuel lines, etc. I'm also planning an LS swap (L92/4L80).
I want to make it easier to move around and not need so many people to help me move it.

I appreciate all of the responses.
If you had the property to store it still, id say buy the cheapest truck bed trailer on the marketplace then just either put on on top of the rails of the bed it would be over or you could remove a junky bed off the trailer and then put your bed onto that frame. then its mobile.