Transmission loosing gears when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99burban2018

Reaction score
I have a 99 suburban and on first start up I have no issues it runs and drives great but after about 10 mins of driving when it starts to warm up i loose all gears and acts like it's in neutral but if I wait a few mins and start it back up I have all gears again then a few mins while driving I loose them again I have no idea what's going on any suggestions

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's hard to read your wall of text without punctuation or paragraph breaks try to edit and provide us with additional info like any tests you've done have you checked the fluid level how many miles what speed does this issue occur have you taken it to a transmission shop what the codes in the computer help us help you.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 suburban and on first start up I have no issues it runs and drives great but after about 10 mins of driving when it starts to warm up i loose all gears and acts like it's in neutral but if I wait a few mins and start it back up I have all gears again then a few mins while driving I loose them again I have no idea what's going on any suggestions
Check or replace your vehicle speed sensor, it could be going bad. If you do and the problem persists, yank it out for overhaul. Whether its a 4L60 or 80, false-neutral while in gear is either VSS intermittent failure or wiped clutch packs.