Transfer case linkage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masonblaster

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

so my clutch gave out on my truck and I’m dropping the transmission and I need to disconnect the mechanical four-wheel-drive linkage, that hooks up to the transfer case I’ve tried and it’s easier said than done any tips or tools that make it easier to pop the joint apart. Also, does anybody have tips that make getting the top bell housing bolts off easier and what are the torque specs for the housing bolts? Also, is there any random and nefarious stuff that people forget to disconnect or unbolt when pulling the transmission? Like cables or wires

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, download service manual for your application from sticky threads above, it's titled 88-98 service manuals . 1/2inch drive , long extensions, swivel impact sockets , specs in manuals, 4x4 linkage ,remove dirt, lubricate linkage end, panel popper, get between linkages should come apart. Best of luck

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the trans lowered, the upper bellhousing bolts should be easy to get to. Don't crush the distributor cap as the engine tilts back.

Pros use a long impact adapter/extension. 1/2" drive, about 3' long, 3/8" drive on the male end. Then use an impact swivel socket to turn the bolts out. Some bolts may need a deep socket to clear the stud on the end, and the nut has to come off first to disconnect whatever it's holding--dipstick tube, wire harness, etc.

Mr Eric

Reaction score
With the trans lowered, the upper bellhousing bolts should be easy to get to. Don't crush the distributor cap as the engine tilts back.

Pros use a long impact adapter/extension. 1/2" drive, about 3' long, 3/8" drive on the male end. Then use an impact swivel socket to turn the bolts out. Some bolts may need a deep socket to clear the stud on the end, and the nut has to come off first to disconnect whatever it's holding--dipstick tube, wire harness, etc
This had been my experience also. The center top bolt will be easiest with the more extension assembly you have. I have used more than 3 ft and from far enough back you can see all the bolts.
If your swivel joint is especially loose, you can add a wrap or two of electrical tape in the middle to firm it up, same goes for attaching the socket, swivel to the extension, as with all the extensions you will not be within arms reach. Lots of light and I plenty of patience and it goes OK. This keeps the frustration level off maximum.....