Tranny rebuilt 4l60e 1995 still with harsh 1-2 shift, help with springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Noobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The new 'corvette servo' is bright red on the visible part, not sure if there are different style corvette servos too...

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the factory alum accumulator, it came with one spring, or two in the 1995 4l60e? Do you know part number or color of the oem springs? I have some here but since the truck came to us with 3 springs (non factory setup I presume) I'd like to have the correct spring or springs on hand
- 1982-1995: One spring which faces the spacer plate (piston in the bore, legs facing out)...

- 1996 through 2005-2006ish: 4L60Es had two springs from the factory and the springs went into the housing first, then the piston.

- 2006-2007ish through 2013: 4L60Es had a third design housing, piston and contained only one small spring.

If there were/are three springs installed now, especially if they are inboard of the piston, that is the reason for your excessively harsh 1-2 shift. Those springs were either from a shift kit like Transgo's SK4L60E or some 'home-brewed' concoction...Either way, it would make for a much firmer 1-2 shift compared to the factory calibration.

If that is indeed the case, I'd start with the accumulator first, restore it to factory calibration then road test...I would check servo travel before doing anything else just to make sure you don't have to shim it....I've seen numerous 4L60Es come in with bands broken in half at the apply side anchor point due to higher than recommended band clearance combined with very aggressive calibration in stock-stall equipped vehicles that were raced or driven hard.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new 'corvette servo' is bright red on the visible part, not sure if there are different style corvette servos too...
Take a picture and post it...I have a feeling you're describing the cover which houses the 4th apply servo...If so, that tells me you have some aftermarket large-ratio servo kit installed. The corvette servo isn't visible at all until you remove the cover and it's piston. Then the rest of the assembly contains the corvette servo.

95Noobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a picture and post it...I have a feeling you're describing the cover which houses the 4th apply servo...If so, that tells me you have some aftermarket large-ratio servo kit installed. The corvette servo isn't visible at all until you remove the cover and it's piston. Then the rest of the assembly contains the corvette servo.
only picture I have at the moment...

You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only picture I have at the moment...
Ah, ok..that's just a stock servo cover that someone painted red...most of the aftermarket 4th gear assemblies are billet aluminum so look silver while some are either powder coated or anodized in a different color...Thought that might be the case with yours...Either way, you're looking at the cover and (inside of it) the 4th gear apply piston.

95Noobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and I'm told there is an 'early 1995 case' and a 'later 1995 case' type for the housing/case. I'm told I started with an 'early' style but when mine cracked they had to replace it with a 'later' style 1995 case.

You mention "1982-1995: One spring which faces the spacer plate (piston in the bore, legs facing out)..." Can you define what 'legs' are and how they face out? If spring goes right against the spacer plate then piston goes under spring and I'll search for a picture of how the stock setup and piston work with that.

Thanks

95Noobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, ok..that's just a stock servo cover that someone painted red...most of the aftermarket 4th gear assemblies are billet aluminum so look silver while some are either powder coated or anodized in a different color...Thought that might be the case with yours...Either way, you're looking at the cover and (inside of it) the 4th gear apply piston.
I found my part numbers. I have at home the green spring, was this the oem one? I also have smaller stiffer yellow one and I think one of the three that came out in the 'homemade stack' was purple and pretty weak.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 24219942 Automatic Transmission 1-2 Green Accumulator Piston Outer Spring​

Green spring amazon

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 24220146 Automatic Transmission 1-2 Yellow Accumulator Piston Inner Spring​

yellow spring amazon

95Noobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I see what you mean about 'legs' the legs are on one side of the piston like in this diagram where in the first picture the little tabs or legs on the piston are pointing up and on the 2nd they are pointing down. This picture shows 3 different configurations and I'm trying to figure out what the actual 1995 stock one was.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found my part numbers. I have at home the green spring, was this the oem one? I also have smaller stiffer yellow one and I think one of the three that came out in the 'homemade stack' was purple and pretty weak.

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 24219942 Automatic Transmission 1-2 Green Accumulator Piston Outer Spring​

Green spring amazon

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 24220146 Automatic Transmission 1-2 Yellow Accumulator Piston Inner Spring​

yellow spring amazon
Those are 1996+ springs for the 1-2 acc housing
It is possible the 'corvette servo' came as a kit like this one from Amazon where the cover comes already red as I doubt this shop took the time to paint it.

red corvette servo on Amazon
Possibly to probably
I think I see what you mean about 'legs' the legs are on one side of the piston like in this diagram where in the first picture the little tabs or legs on the piston are pointing up and on the 2nd they are pointing down. This picture shows 3 different configurations and I'm trying to figure out what the actual 1995 stock one was.

Left side is correct for your 1995...Piston has the larger diameter hole in the middle for the larger diameter piston pin...The other two have a smaller diameter hole...I am not familiar with the arrangement shown in the middle image, perhaps that is for an earlier 4L60E that went behind a smaller displacement engine (just a guess, haven't done one of those in ages).

-----------------------------------------------------
Can you combine all your questions into one post?
Makes it easier for myself and others to read through and respond in one reply...Thanks!