To Carb or to TBI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigTater

Reaction score
That’s the plan, I’ve never built an engine before nor have I worked with any kind or injection system (excluding some minor wiring and injector maintenance on a different vehicle), and I’m lead to believe that breaking in a new build is not an idea time to figure out how TBI works. Much more familiar with carbs between experience with small engines and aircooled VWs. This will be my first time working with a 4 barrel carburetor but I imagine the same general principles apply. Speaking of which, anyone know some good literature to pick up that would cover me for rebuilding a Holley 1850? Was planning on getting a Haynes tech book but figured it’s worth an ask here.

BigTater

Reaction score
I'm guessing you have good knowledge of the internal combustion engine. Once you get it back in there and running you can get some power and economy out of it by tuning the ECM.
Up till now the most involved job I’ve ever done were rings on an old 12.5 horse B&S… sufffice to say this is a big jump for me but I have plenty of manuals to light my way and forums like these to ask questions on

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, anyone know some good literature to pick up that would cover me for rebuilding a Holley 1850? Was planning on getting a Haynes tech book but figured it’s worth an ask here.
I know enough about a Holley to know I wouldn't put one of those P'sOS on my lawnmower. They're not bad carbs just overly complicated. Haynes manuals suck too,don't even make good toilet paper. If it were me I would just pull the bowls off that Holley and give it a good hosing with carb cleaner and compressed air. As soon as you've broke in the cam and heat cycled the rings toss that piece of crap in the garbage can or sell it to some idiot that thinks Holley's are cool.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to plonk the carb on and go and never dork around with it, get an Edelbrock. If you like tinkering, get a Holley. The Edelbrock is a better street carb, the Holley will make more horsepower.

BigTater

Reaction score
I know enough about a Holley to know I wouldn't put one of those P'sOS on my lawnmower. They're not bad carbs just overly complicated. Haynes manuals suck too,don't even make good toilet paper. If it were me I would just pull the bowls off that Holley and give it a good hosing with carb cleaner and compressed air. As soon as you've broke in the cam and heat cycled the rings toss that piece of crap in the garbage can or sell it to some idiot that thinks Holley's are cool.

If you want to plonk the carb on and go and never dork around with it, get an Edelbrock. If you like tinkering, get a Holley. The Edelbrock is a better street carb, the Holley will make more horsepower.
Well hearing this checks out with all of the other poorly thought out performance mods made to the motor. Do you have any specific suggestions on what kind of edelbrock I should consider using? I can tune the Solex 28PICT on my 62 beetle by ear in 10 minutes but I’ve never actually had to choose a carburetor before, nor have I ever worked on a 4 barrel.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 550-600 CFM Edelbrock will be all you need for a stocker. Like Eric said they're pretty much drop on ready. Because you only intend to use it for a short while find a used one and freshen it up. If you can rebuild VW carbs you will have no problem with the Edelbrock.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigTater

Reaction score
Edelbrocks size differently than Holleys. You'll want a 650 Edelbrock for a 350.

Tuning is done by switching jets and metering rods. You'll need a kit. The Edelbrock kit is extremely disappointing for the price.

Amazon has a kit at 1/8 the price.
www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Calibration-Tuning-Edelbrock-Carburetor1400/dp/B0D2RSMRGZ
Just fired the parts cannon yesterday, but at least this time it’s loaded with things I need. Once I’m further along with the build (and get my next paycheck) I’ll definitely order that once I find a good carb on marketplace to tune with it.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just fired the parts cannon yesterday, but at least this time it’s loaded with things I need. Once I’m further along with the build (and get my next paycheck) I’ll definitely order that once I find a good carb on marketplace to tune with it.
You will also want a WBO2 gauge setup to dial it in. Personally I wouldn't worry about tuning the carb,it ain't gonna be on there that long.

BigTater

Reaction score
You will also want a WBO2 gauge setup to dial it in. Personally I wouldn't worry about tuning the carb,it ain't gonna be on there that long.
Well the thing is that I’m not sure if I have everything I need to the tbi to work. Considering the truck is already set up to supply a carburetor, would it be worth trying to source an edelbrock with a throttle position sensor, etc. such that the transmission could be made to work until I’m ready to make the change? What would be needed to make it work in that scenario?