Tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my 99 is needing tires. They are at least 10 years old. They are weather checked but don't have any tread missing. I have no way at this time to trailer the truck to the tire shop and pulling the wheels and taking them in to be done is not a option either. I live 20 miles away from the tire shop. What would you all suggest to do in order to get there as safe as possible. I'm planning on taking it nice and easy and not setting any land speed records. They do hold air for the most part. It's been in the driveway since march and the rears have lost some air but how much I don't know. The duals are just starting to touch at the bottom they might have been that way when I rolled it off the trailer I don't remember. I will make sure that they all have the proper amount in them. When I'm planning on taking it the temps will be much lower then they are now so excessive ambient heat wont be as much of a issue. Any other tips that you all can give.

rzr6-4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay off the highway and make to to avoid any curb checks, not much else to it.

It sounds like you don't have much other option anyway. Worst case if you lose one on the way, at least the tow truck doesn't have to drag you as far.

What part of NE?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran some used BFG All Terrains that I guess had some checking that was more severe than I thought. Actually drove to a shop on the coast about 60 miles away to get some more used ones put on. Was surprised to see when they had it up and the wheels off, one section of tread was missing but I guess the steel belting or whatever you call it was fine.
I don't do the used tire thing anymore although I can't say, other than that experience, it's ever been less than good .
Wish I could say the same for these mother cuppers I'm running now....

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Other than trying to stay off the main roads there, try and go at a less busy time of day. No rush hour. That way if you do break down, at least it will be a bit safer.
Air up, keep at a reasonable speed, you should be fine.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stay off the highway and make to to avoid any curb checks, not much else to it.

It sounds like you don't have much other option anyway. Worst case if you lose one on the way, at least the tow truck doesn't have to drag you as far.

What part of NE?
Western NE. In the North Platte area. You?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Other than trying to stay off the main roads there, try and go at a less busy time of day. No rush hour. That way if you do break down, at least it will be a bit safer.
Air up, keep at a reasonable speed, you should be fine.
Yeah there is no rush hour here lol. Only time there is a bunch of traffic is in June with a local event. The town I live in is about 1500 people. The next town over is 600 people. The town I'm going to is 25000.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
When I bought the '93 dually it was 200 miles from home. The tires were so rotten I swear you could see the air between the cracks. I tried to buy some used tires for the trip home but nobody had anything even close to the size I needed, and I wasn't ready to choose what I would buy for new ones.

I drove it.. 200 miles.. on some seriously rotten, ancient tires. I did what everyone else is suggesting already - be sure they're inflated properly (you're not towing a load, so no need for them to be at 'max' inflation, just a reasonable amount so they don't get hot from underinflation), take it easy, and try to pick a time of day where there's less traffic.

What you really don't want is a rear tire blowing out or coming apart and messing up one of your dually fenders.

I'm still amazed my truck made it home, for so many reasons. No tires blew out, and the truck didn't suffer any mechanical failures. It was a whole pack of miracles that day.

Richard

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you really don't want is a rear tire blowing out or coming apart and messing up one of your dually fenders.
This is the one thing I don't want to happen. With it being a old farm truck the fenders are almost pristine except for the clear coat peeling. Heck the whole truck is in damn good shape for being a old farm truck

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my ‘94 and it had 7 year old Firestone A/Ts on it that looked like they had never been driven on in terms of tread wear. However, they were severely weather checked. It made it 150 miles and the tires were the least of my issues in the end.

Take your time and you will be fine. 10 year old tires have to be better than “brand new LingLong best tire tire for car truck suv” Amazon tires:p