Timing cover or intake oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was crawling under my 1998 k1500 today and found a ton of oil leaking down the passenger side of the block and on the front diff. I followed it up and it was running out from behind the accessory drive down the front bottom side of the passenger head. It also looks pretty oily behind the accessory drive but don’t know if it’s the timing cover leaking or intake leaking?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to a do-it-yourself "high pressure" car wash.

CLEAN the engine. Start it up, let it dry off. Drive around for awhile.

Blow baby powder all over the front of the engine. The oily baby powder will show you where it's leaking.

OR

After you've cleaned and dried the engine, dump some fluorescent dye in the oil, and buy the blacklight and glasses that help you see the glowing trail of oil.
www.amazon.com/MASTERCOOL-53351-B-Professional-Detector-Light/dp/B000IHJXHG/ref=sr_1_11?
But there's cheap-crap knockoffs on Amazon starting at about $17.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No need to clean the engine if you're using dye to find the leak. The oil already leaked lacks the dye so won't reveal under the light. And you don't need a kit. Get a quality dye and a quality light. I used AutoPro UV dye and an UltraFire 502B flashlight and they were perfect together.

Last edited: