The Plow Truck: 99 454 CCSB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Started off the day with a freshly potted Rostra harness (used JB Weld as you can see).

You must be registered for see images attach

Swapped that out, put the pan on for real with new filter and GM gasket, finished cleaning the cross member, painted that, and finally installed and got the drivetrain at the proper angle. Reinstalled all 6 exhaust nuts, they went in like butter. Snapped the cooler lines back in, got the rod dealies in that run off the inspection cover, dicked around with a bunch of piddly stuff. Dropped the tank as well, swapped the pump and bucket, and ran out of stuff to deal with the ghetto rigged connector. The old pump and bucket weren't that old it turns out.

But likely made of the most inferior of Chineseum. The harness seemed a bit long and had a bulge.

I think I'd better check the last guy's work.

Looking even more suspect.

I assumed the other 3 were equally bad and cut them all off. I kept chipping up the harness and the grey wire was oxidized as far back as I kept cutting. Not sure where to go with that. That's kinda where my momentum died with the pump. The tank is ready to go, but I'm not sure the truck is ready for it yet. So I swapped out the emergency brake cable and came home. The PRNDL switch looked a bit off so I grabbed a spare from home to compare to. Once that on I can zap the front driveshaft in and once the tank is back in I can zap the rear driveshaft back in.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So trans and fuel pump are done, truck is off the lift, and I'm down to fixing the gear oil leak into the RR drum. Initially I'd chalked it up to wear and tear at the spindle, but yesterday I went to bang a new seal into the hub and found this ignorance.

Yeah that looks way more like the real leak to me. Boy I can't get enough of refixing another "mechanic's" work. Went to the junkyard to grab another hub and stumbled upon this gem, should have snagged the whole thing but was not in the mood.

A 96 Suburban with the elusive slip on drums! Drums are part number 15622390. Gotta wonder if they can't just be slipped over a regular hub? I don't think there were but 3 or so different hubs ever made? Onto the next truck with the more familiar crappy press on drums. Snagged a hub and got out of there. Got it home and more excellence awaited me.

The collective gene pool could really use a cleansing. This I was able to blend out at least. Who would ever need to swing a hammer this way?! Seriously! Today I'll swing back out and get this installed. Hopefully can call this good. Also still need to switch over to the PYOs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Time will tell if that gear oil leak stays fixed. I went with a newer 2 piece seal from the AAM 10.5" axle. This one locks onto the spindle and eliminates the leak cause by the groove the original seal wears into it. Parking brake works great. Turns out both drums had been replaced so that's good. Got the PYOs on finally and man what a difference in fitment! Here's the old wheels.

And here's the PYOs with a 2" steel spacer out back.

No more rubbing! I need to get my factory flares out back on the front. After this I went for a test drive. Seems the torque converter fixed the lugging/stalling/pushing you through an intersection. I FINALLY have 4wd! That lower mileage transfer case I put in must have had a good encoder motor. The parking brake held while I torqued the axle shaft, spacers, and wheels. The brakes felt alright. And it fires right up like a normal engine.