Tech: Every possible dash switch for GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
You know your sh*t. Thats awesome.

*raises hand* question: the top retainer accepts the same size switch as the middle(to my understanding)... but the actual panel is the same size as the bottom. Correct?

If so, what am I actually modifying? The cargo switch or the blank? OR do I have this all wrong and would appreciate a slightly more in-depth description (not asking for a write-up) of what to do.

EDIT: took a final peek at the quoted picture of retainers above and noticed how the top retainer has a lil tab cut out in the middle of the bottom of it and the middle retainer has a tab cut out offset to the right... thinking that'll be modded... still doesn't answer how the panel for the cargo switch will cover up all of the top retainer's space. if it doesn't, I'd most likely be the only one to notice/know anyways.
Yup, the middle and top are the same size retainer and same switch case, but the bezel on the top is larger. IF you wanted to move things around, my best suggestion is to cut up the retainer into 3-pieces and put them where you want them (that was my plan). You are stuck using two large and one small vertical switch though.

The vertical fog light switch is IMPOSSIBLE to find! I have been looking for over a month for one with no hits. Verticle fog switch is a DS-938, from what I can figure out, any idea on the number for the verticle switch? Want one for my '97.
It's a lot easier to find than the horizontal fog light switch. I have a vertical one, but I ain't giving it up. :lol:

You can find them in denalis, escalades, z71 tahoes, and limited tahoes.
They are much less common to find, for sure. What Dylan said about the denali/escalade and limited/z71 tahoe is correct, they are the most common vehicles to find them in. You MIGHT find one in an SUV but it would be super rare to.

I haven't found any good sources for a vertical switch yet. I have one and two horizontal switches. Not giving mine up either.

Actually all the switches on the first page are ones i've collected :)

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Do you guys have a part number off the vertical switch? Like I said, the horizontal switch is ds-938.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, the middle and top are the same size retainer and same switch case, but the bezel on the top is larger. IF you wanted to move things around, my best suggestion is to cut up the retainer into 3-pieces and put them where you want them (that was my plan). You are stuck using two large and one small vertical switch though.

I dunno. I'm thinking I'll just get another cargo switch (saw a few on eBay and I know of a recently totaled truck I can pull one outta) and put it in the top retainer. I wouldn't think the bezel gap would be very significant. Significant being >7mm. Could be wrong bout that though, maybe you beg to differ.
Is it possible to mod (i.e. cut out) a blank top panel, and (next steps involving some sort of witchcraft) fit a cargo switch in that blank, without it looking cobbled all to hell? Worse comes to worst, I don't have a blank top panel and potentially have a cargo switch that will fit in the top retainer but look slightly off. Gosh, I'm so glad there are other people out there that appreciate the aesthetic value of an OEM kept dash. Lots of useful info!

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm thinking I'll just get another cargo switch (saw a few on eBay and I know of a recently totaled truck I can pull one outta) and put it in the top retainer. I wouldn't think the bezel gap would be very significant. Significant being >7mm. Could be wrong bout that though, maybe you beg to differ.
Is it possible to mod (i.e. cut out) a blank top panel, and (next steps involving some sort of witchcraft) fit a cargo switch in that blank, without it looking cobbled all to hell? Worse comes to worst, I don't have a blank top panel and potentially have a cargo switch that will fit in the top retainer but look slightly off. Gosh, I'm so glad there are other people out there that appreciate the aesthetic value of an OEM kept dash. Lots of useful info!
See the aux switch up there? I would try mounting a cargo switch like that. They mount to the dash bezel on the small 2x3" square flat spot on the left side of the steering wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
You can see the rear wiper next to the cargo switch. They are considerably different sized.

Tonight if you want I can toss them together in my blank panels and spare dash bezel if your curious.

See the aux switch up there? I would try mounting a cargo switch like that. They mount to the dash bezel on the small 2x3" square flat spot on the left side of the steering wheel.

FYI the Aux lamp is the same size as the rear hatch or cargo lamp switch.

The do mount in that spot, and require a hole, but they also have a retainer that goes behind the bezel to hold them in.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can see the rear wiper next to the cargo switch. They are considerably different sized.

Tonight if you want I can toss them together in my blank panels and spare dash bezel if your curious.
FYI the Aux lamp is the same size as the rear hatch or cargo lamp switch.
The do mount in that spot, and require a hole, but they also have a retainer that goes behind the bezel to hold them in.

That was the first thing I noticed on the Aux Switch, was the retainer behind the bezel cause I just knew for a switch as rare as that, they would just cut a hole in that part of the dash and call it good. If you have the time, I would appreciate seeing what two cargo's look like on the vertical switch column. Assuming thats what you meant.

As for cutting a hole to mount an Aux Switch... I'd obviously have to have the Aux Switch in my possession and even then I'd take a while to think about it, just cause my dash is CLEAN! I mean, wipe the dust off of it with a wet towel and it shines clean. So I'd be reluctant to cut a hole in it, cause if I mess up, there goes my entire pretty dash.

Btw. pulled a bunch of parts from the totaled truck i mentioned (cause the owner is a flake) and the lil rat ******* sold the cargo switch on me, when I had asked him well in advance that I'd like to have it. I even told him I'd pay him $10 for it when he told me I could have it for free. But I at least got the dash-bezel that holds the retainer holes, and the pigtail for a cargo switch.. which makes no sense if he pulled the switch but left the pigtail.