Suburban inner cargo door handle source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kf4zht

Reaction score
The inside (between the doors) for the drivers side door on my 96 is broken. Mech works fine if I reach in and pull the bars, looks like the arm snapped.

I'm striking out finding a replacement anywhere but LMC - pn 37-0950. But for $80 that seems steep when I can replace every other exterior and interior door handle for the same money. I've messaged a couple people parting out trucks but most only want to sell the whole door, can't fault them.

Anyone know of another source, part number, etc? I think the OEM PN is 15977499, but that looks like its discontinued and the ebay listings are even higher than LMC.

EJ_74

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

kf4zht

Reaction score
There are lots of aftermarket ones on ebay but not with that exact part number. Looks like the same thing though

Not sure how I missed that in searching, but for $15 I'll give it a shot. A little concerned that it shows compatibility between models that other places show are different parts, but maybe its not a big deal

kd6aaj

Reaction score
I just replaced one of these Cargo door interior handles on a 1994 Chevy Suburban, with some modification to the new handle.

Originally the 1992-1997 Suburbans used GM part number 15977499, which is no longer made.

According to Dorman the later models (1998-1999 Escalade/Suburban/Tahoe; and up to 2002 Astro Van & Savana, etc) use Dorman part number 77498 (replaces the GM numbers 15157897, 15246515, 15740709, 20920593, 25911269, 25924082, 84898479).

So, I took a gamble and purchased the Dorman 77498 from amazon.com.

The clips on the new handle are shaped different, are larger, and the holes in the metal arm are a larger diameter, so you can't re-use the old clips. :(

I had to find a way to use the new clips...

I had to open the new clips, then carefully & slowly drill part-way into the plastic clips (make a shallow pocket) using a 3/16" drill-bit, just into the part where they pass through the metal arm.

That way the bent ends of the metal rods could be inserted into the pockets I just made.

Don't drill too deep or all the way through, because then the clips will probably break in half!

I had to squeeze each clip tightly while drilling, and then wobble the drill-bit a little (to cut the plastic wider) when I reached a good depth , because the clips wanted to spread apart while I was drilling (the clips are folded plastic).

I could have used a larger drill bit, but the rods appear to be 3/16" wide so that's the sized bit I chose.

I had to use pliers to make the clips snap shut, because mine were so close in tolerance.

The bolt hole pattern is identical and you re-use the existing nuts from the old latch (the new latch didn't come with nuts).

I'm sorry I didn't think to take pictures of my work, but maybe someone else can upload photos when they do it?

Good luck!