Strange electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced those straps as well

It's almost certainly a "spark or fuel delivery" issue. The sudden engine shut-off IMHO points in that direction.

Look at each one (fuel, spark) independently and see which is failing and causing the engine to die. Once you know (spark, fuel), debug the devices and circuits that are involved.

From memory:

- Spark: reluctor / pickup in dizzy, ICM, ECU, coil, associated wiring (including the wire to the tach) and connectors

- Fuel: Relay / oil press switch, ECU, injectors, regulator, associated wiring and connectors

The service manual is your friend. Download a copy from here:

There are troubleshooting flow-charts galore, within, but they don't cover the elusive problems.

I asked you some other questions earlier but you didn't bother to answer them for whatever reason.

Good luck :waytogo:

Last edited:

bogus

Reaction score
It's almost certainly a "spark or fuel delivery" issue. The sudden engine shut-off IMHO points in that direction.

Look at each one (fuel, spark) independently and see which is failing and causing the engine to die. Once you know (spark, fuel), debug the devices and circuits that are involved.

- Spark: reluctor / pickup in dizzy, ICM, ECU, coil, associated wiring (including the wire to the tach) and connectors

- Fuel: Relay / oil press switch, ECU, injectors, regulator, associated wiring and connectors

The service manual is your friend. Download a copy from here:

There are troubleshooting flow-charts galore, within, but they don't cover the elusive problems.

I asked you some other questions earlier but you didn't bother to answer them for whatever reason.

Good luck :waytogo:
Double-checked the ground to the back of the block. That might be my problem lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240709_214047_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_214047_Gallery.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 15

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double-checked the ground to the back of the block. That might be my problem lol

If that's the replacement ground strap, it's way undersized. The OE straps are much heavier gauge and for good reason.

What's that other thin-ish wire sharing the same bolt, is that OE?

bogus

Reaction score
If that's the replacement ground strap, it's way undersized. The OE straps are much heavier gauge and for good reason.

The OE straps that were on before were the same size. the other wire is OE. I didn't sand the surface area I just remembered

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My question would be, was the truck starting fine before changing these parts or were you chasing the issue you have now ? Many times people change parts because they think it's needed or they are changed because they think , well I'll change this part now maybe that's the problem .

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score

The TBI era stuff doesn't have monster sized braided ground straps. Those look similar to OE, to me.

Richard

bogus

Reaction score
My question would be, was the truck starting fine before changing these parts or were you chasing the issue you have now ? Many times people change parts because they think it's needed or they are changed because they think , well I'll change this part now maybe that's the problem .
Changing parts for the problem.

docstoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a scanner to look at data ? Also as Road Trip stated service manual information is very helpful. I think if fuel pressure/ volume is within spec. and injector pulse and spark are good (tested wit hei spark tester) I would look at IAC . Has the minimum idle rate been messed with or adjusted ? There again specs. are in service manuals hope you've been looking at those. Not meaning to run you around cking stuff just not there to help with diagnostic thought process.